• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth with fillings crumbling

  • Thread starter Thread starter missaaliyah
  • Start date Start date
M

missaaliyah

Junior member
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
1
I had 4 fillings when I was 5, okay don't kill me here, it was my parents fault as they thought sweets would get me off their backs. Little did they know. But now 21 years later, the first of 4 filling, started falling out, now the pain wasnt severe for the first tooth, so the fact that there was no pain, the dentists in my area werent interested in treating me as I wasnt registered and had no pain (I should have lied).

But now the second tooth is starting, part of the cusp (I think thats the right word) has fallen away and I can see the filling.

Let me add that the first tooth is practically gone, and I can see the gum now. Still no pain, but difficult to brush my teeth, so I use mouthwash a lot to remove plaque and food which got stuck in the teeth.

Why has the teeth started to crumble? Is one of the questions I wondered about.
I just dont know what to do about the toothache I get from the second tooth.

Someone said eat a clove, another said chew some garlic, another said have some whisky.

Can you give me some tips on soothing the toothache?
 
It may have had decay up under the filling. That happened to some of mine and now teh only option is digging them out. You may noy have pain now but sooner or later you will. The only thing you can do is a dentist and get it taken care of because let me warn you , there is NOTHING worse than a toothache(if only i would had told myslef that 17 yaers ago [smiley=ashamed.gif]) Best of luck! If your tooth does start hurting the best thing i can suggest is ibuprofren.
 
Hi Missaaliyah
[smiley=welcome.gif]
I agree with shub2974that the best thing you can do is find yourself a good dentist asap before it gets any worse.
If you are in employment and there are no NHS dentists taking patients on in your area (NHS emergency treatment for pain should always be available but it really is for the best not to let it get to that stage), then I would advise you to treat yourself to a private dentist.
This will give you much more control over who you see (ask for recommendations or visit practices, check websites)  and if you are very nervous, they are likely to be less rushed and have more time to discuss things with you.

A filling which has fallen out usually just needs to be replaced - with anaesthetic it should be perfectly comfortable. If you do have a tooth with just a root left, then this can be removed but according to the dentists on here, this is easier to do than a normal extraction and again you would be numb, so it would not be painful.
It really isn't worth suffering unnecessarily for want of picking up the phone.....a lot will have changed for the better since you were 4...you can do it...you must want to really because you posted on this board - well done.
[smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
 
Back
Top