• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified and need someone to talk to..

L

lallyy13

I'm a 27 year old female.. i have a good job and have a place to study midwifery in September, recently met my boyfriend who plans to move in with me soon. Everything in my life is perfect..
Except my teeth. I was left to frink fizzy drinks every day as a child and eat sweets whenever, never encouraged to brush teeth.. I was taken to the dentist a few times and have some fillings. I eventually moved away from home as i couldn't stay there any longer. I never got a dentist, i remember times where i had horrendous toothache and i just left it. HOW STUPID. It got to the point where four of my lower teeth had rotten to the gumline. I was always worried about them but never even considered any health risks as i was too embarrassed and scared to book a dentist app or even google things. I am now kicking myself for this!
I eventually managed to get the courage to go to a dentist about 4 years later.. i chose private as i felt they'd be less judging! they fixed obvious problems but then said my roots could be left if i wanted to get implants in the future as this meant they'd keep the gum strong.

Fast forward a few more years... never went to a dentist again as couldn't afford implants so just tried to focus on one day paying for beautiful teeth. Now here i am, finally getting these teeth removed tomorrow but absolutely terrfied about what impact these could have had on my life? I have been feeling rubbish and run down for years and stupidly never realised the connection?<??????? i've started with chest pains, shortness or breath... but i don't know if this is anxiety from me worrying about my health now. I feel like i have no choice but to give up on life, if i have a serious illness just as my life is getting better.

Why didn't that private dentist warn me of the risks? has anyone else had any health probs from rotten teeth??? were they resolved when you removed them?

PLEASE HELP

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?? Any advice?? :)

Hello, welcome to the forum.
I'm not a dentist or a doctor, so I don't know if your teeth have had an adverse affect on your general health. I've actually found the opposite to be true, and have only had problems with my teeth since being diagnosed with lupus (unless it's a coincidence).
You're taking a major step forward by having these teeth removed, and I'm sure you'll feel better for it. You can decide at a later date about implants. Hopefully the price will decrease as they become widely used.
Anxiety definitely can affect on our wellbeing and our immune system and make us feel really poorly.
Good luck for tomorrow.

Thankyou, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you're doing well other than dental problems. Fingers crossed once teeth are gone i may relax and symptoms may go.. not holding out much hope though
x

Somebody please help. I'm terrifed

Hi
It sounds like your life is perfect and there is absolutely no need to get worried about these four roots that will be soon removed.
By the sounds of it these roots have been in your mouth for years.
Longterm these rotten roots can cause a local infection with related local swellings/pain for which most people attend the dentist...that's the worst.Many people have these for years with no problems.

As soon as the roots are removed any infection will heal.The,main link between implants and retaining roots are...as soon as the roots are removed the bone shrinks a little(almost like without a root there is no need for bone) which means that you are more likely to need a bone graft for future implants.
But regardless it sounds great that you are getting rid of these once and for all.

It might be worth it to deal with your other issues of feeling rubbish,rundown,shortness of breath and chest pain
as a seperate in issue,as a it can be related to anxiety and you might benefit from support with that.

All and all you will be fine.

=lallyy13;169312]I'm a 27 year old female.. i have a good job and have a place to study midwifery in September, recently met my boyfriend who plans to move in with me soon. Everything in my life is perfect..
Except my teeth. I was left to frink fizzy drinks every day as a child and eat sweets whenever, never encouraged to brush teeth.. I was taken to the dentist a few times and have some fillings. I eventually moved away from home as i couldn't stay there any longer. I never got a dentist, i remember times where i had horrendous toothache and i just left it. HOW STUPID. It got to the point where four of my lower teeth had rotten to the gumline. I was always worried about them but never even considered any health risks as i was too embarrassed and scared to book a dentist app or even google things. I am now kicking myself for this!
I eventually managed to get the courage to go to a dentist about 4 years later.. i chose private as i felt they'd be less judging! they fixed obvious problems but then said my roots could be left if i wanted to get implants in the future as this meant they'd keep the gum strong.

Fast forward a few more years... never went to a dentist again as couldn't afford implants so just tried to focus on one day paying for beautiful teeth. Now here i am, finally getting these teeth removed tomorrow but absolutely terrfied about what impact these could have had on my life? I have been feeling rubbish and run down for years and stupidly never realised the connection?<??????? i've started with chest pains, shortness or breath... but i don't know if this is anxiety from me worrying about my health now. I feel like i have no choice but to give up on life, if i have a serious illness just as my life is getting better.

Why didn't that private dentist warn me of the risks? has anyone else had any health probs from rotten teeth??? were they resolved when you removed them?

PLEASE HELP[/QUOTE]

Thankyou, dental talk! I just feel so hopeless. I actually never even considered the fact they could affect my health. How ridiculous is that? I think I must have known deep down but Ive been depressed and just ignored it. I'm just so scared ive ruined my general health. All that is in my mind is heart disease. I feel I must have it. Has anyone else had ill health problems with teeth? x

It's a pleasure.

Leave you seen a GP regarding your concern about heart disease?

It really sounds to me that you are letting yourself suffer and worry more than needed and consequently your anxiety and related symptoms gets worse.

See a GP and have peace of mind that you likely don't have a heart condition.

Good luck

QUOTE=lallyy13;169368]Thankyou, dental talk! I just feel so hopeless. I actually never even considered the fact they could affect my health. How ridiculous is that? I think I must have known deep down but Ive been depressed and just ignored it. I'm just so scared ive ruined my general health. All that is in my mind is heart disease. I feel I must have it. Has anyone else had ill health problems with teeth? x[/QUOTE]

I've seen a GP yes and a cardiologist. Ive had many tests done but I work in healthcare and I know how hard it is to diagnose heart disease unless you have had a heart attack. I'm also worried about cancer. I know I am spiralling out of control with my anxiety but I also know that I don't feel right in myself, if I go running, which I do often I get chest pain. To me this is angina and not anxiety. I'm just terrified :( I just feel id rather die. If I had bad teeth and could get them sorted Id be happy and forget the past but if it has affected my health I feel ill have to give up x

You have to relax don't jump to conclusion if you don't know for sure you will just suffer more and it wastes your time and energy. If you are so sure something is wrong keep doing test it. Oh boy I had lots of thoughts about dying but it is just stupid to think about that it leads no where and i love life too much. Just don't over think it take it as it goes only thing that matters is that you are doing something about those problems. I really doubt that chest pain is caused by teeth. That could be only temporary thing I had chest pain from training too much
it took it almost two weeks to go away.

Trying my hardest to stay calm and just see what happens. I do feel Id have had a heart attack by now if I was going to!? The mind can really make us feel awful things can't it! I read your post on the other thread @marco.. Chest pains vary so much, can be stabbing on left or right, tightness. Sometimes I can press and I'll feel pain other times none with pressing. Also have all other anxiety symptoms. Extractions were fine! Wish I had done it so long ago. Nevermind we are both stronger now and moving forward :)

@marco... Have you booked in for your first lot of treatment? I hope you feel ok about, as ok as we can be! It won't be anywhere near as bad as you think. It's so quick and painless. You'll be home with numb gums before you know it :)

Don't try to hard :) I don't think its so severe that you will have heart attack. I think it is just anxiety chest pain(or simple muscle strain) I felt it week ago (wasn't strong) even now i feel it a little. I accepted what is going on and got my mind under control so it calmed down. I can imagine how worse anxiety can cause it to really hurt since everything is going to get worse. You do seem distressed.

Good to hear it went well are you going do anything more with your teeth ? Yeah I feel a lot better now that I'm doing something about this.

Yeah I did tomorrow is first one and I guess I will go every other day or something like that so real hell begins.
I fell it doesn't matter how I fell i have to go so I try not to think much about it. I hope it is going to be ok
dentist said it is not going to hurt but i can feel in bones that it might not be true, biggest dental trauma happen after word don't worry it is not going to hurt :ROFLMAO:

I'm a 27 year old female.. i have a good job and have a place to study midwifery in September, recently met my boyfriend who plans to move in with me soon. Everything in my life is perfect..

PLEASE HELP

Aw hun, I know what you're going through. :XXLhug: Your story is scarily similar to mine in some ways, I saw your comment on my thread and thought I'd come on here. Fizzy drinks are definitely responsible for a lot of issues, my teeth are totally destroyed in the back because of it. I suffered a lot with depression and for the last few years have pretty much given up on myself, my weight is out of control, I'd go for weeks without brushing my teeth, I was basically waiting to die.

Now the pain is a little too much and it's time I fought back. I will be having four teeth removed on friday, two of those being wisdom tooth roots that remain with no teeth there as they rotted away. I don't know if you have now had your own teeth removed, if you haven't I will keep you updated on how things go with me. I am expecting the worst so anything less than that will be a nice shock!

Don't give up hope though, it sounds like your life is going pretty well with regards to your career/boyfriend. If the worst comes to the worst you could either go private again and maybe have work done under sedation or get a dentist to refer you to the hospital for treatment.