• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified but after nearly 19 years, I finally made an appointment.

I sat in a restaurant having lunch with my husband. All these terrible thoughts still over taking my mind as always. My husband is truly quite wonderful but the man fears nothing or at least it seems. He tries to be understanding and he does say all the right things and he’s helpful, BUT he doesn’t know what this feels like. You all do.

I came home and read your posts. All I could do was cry. This forum is a lifeline. I have compared my teeth and gums with pictures on google convinced that they are just as bad if not worse. I am still convinced. But reading your posts gives me hope that regardless of what my dental health ends up beingI can get through it and I am not alone. I don’t ever remember being more scared of anything ever in my life. I look at my smile and I am shattered. It used to be beautiful. The fact that I stupidly avoided the dentist for 20 years is my biggest regret in life. But here I am. I can only move forward from here. I will go to the dentist on the 25th. I will want to vomit. I just might actually vomit. Oh geez, I hope I don’t vomit. I am going to be so ashamed and so embarrassed and so scared but I am backed in a corner and this is the only exit.

Reading your replies made me cry because I felt such a sense of relief. The advice, the logic, the kindness, the understanding, the reassurance, the guidance. You provided me with these things today. You reached out and helped to make a difference in my thought process. I am so grateful for this forum.

I will try my very best to take your advice and stay away from dr google, even though it won’t be easy. I will try and focus on other things, even though it won’t be easy. I will try to stay positive, even though it won’t be easy, because nothing about this is easy so the least I could do is steer myself away from the darkest paths.

Please know that I am so very grateful for all the replies. You’re all so smart, compassionate, and helpful.

I sat in a restaurant having lunch with my husband. All these terrible thoughts still over taking my mind as always. My husband is truly quite wonderful but the man fears nothing or at least it seems. He tries to be understanding and he does say all the right things and he’s helpful, BUT he doesn’t know what this feels like. You all do.

I came home and read your posts. All I could do was cry. This forum is a lifeline. I have compared my teeth and gums with pictures on google convinced that they are just as bad if not worse. I am still convinced. But reading your posts gives me hope that regardless of what my dental health ends up beingI can get through it and I am not alone. I don’t ever remember being more scared of anything ever in my life. I look at my smile and I am shattered. It used to be beautiful. The fact that I stupidly avoided the dentist for 20 years is my biggest regret in life. But here I am. I can only move forward from here. I will go to the dentist on the 25th. I will want to vomit. I just might actually vomit. Oh geez, I hope I don’t vomit. I am going to be so ashamed and so embarrassed and so scared but I am backed in a corner and this is the only exit.

Reading your replies made me cry because I felt such a sense of relief. The advice, the logic, the kindness, the understanding, the reassurance, the guidance. You provided me with these things today. You reached out and helped to make a difference in my thought process. I am so grateful for this forum.

I will try my very best to take your advice and stay away from dr google, even though it won’t be easy. I will try and focus on other things, even though it won’t be easy. I will try to stay positive, even though it won’t be easy, because nothing about this is easy so the least I could do is steer myself away from the darkest paths.

Please know that I am so very grateful for all the replies. You’re all so smart, compassionate, and helpful.
Frozen fear, you are indeed my twin My husband is the same way. Fears nothing, tries to understand but I don’t think he can really as a, he isn’t afraid of anything and b he’s not going through it I am. Anyway I so relate to you it’s almost scary. I meant it, I’m here if you need an ear ❤️

Look at you: you have already come a long way. Further than you realize. While you’re free to check dr google anytime, why don’t you try, just for fun, reading some of these replies before you do?

You’re doing everything right. Just keep posting.

Back