• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of being numb!

L

Lisa

Hi everyone -  I've been suffering from anxiety attacks since I was 15. I had a really bad toothache recently so I made an appt. I was shocked that I could even dial the number! Up until last week I hadn't been to the dentist since I was about 14 I'm 37 now.
So, the day came I went shaking like a leaf and yes even crying, but I really don't care what they think lol they took all the x-rays and examined my teeth. I need some fillings, 1 root canal and an extraction. Overall it went okay I even caught myself drifting away for a second.
But here's my problem..........I have to back on 11/21 to get the fillings done.
I'm beyond terrified of being numb! (I won't do the sedation) All sorts of things go through my mind like.....I won't be able to breathe, I'll choke or my throat will close up!  Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to calm yourself down?  I'm just not sure how I'm going to get through this! Help!!??

Hi Lisa & :welcome: First of all, congrats on taking that big step and seeing the dentist :jump: Are you afraid of the injections or the being numb part? Does your dentist offer gas (nitous oxide)? If so, you will still know what they are doing, however it will relax you enough, so you do not care. Some of the posters have found that listening to their ipods helps to take their mind off things.

I personally still shake at every visit, but my dentist know I am nervous and helps me through each appointment.

My next appointment is tomarrow as well. I still get nervous, but I know he will do everything to make me comfortable and I am sure you will find the same.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Hi Lisa,
it's physically impossible that you won't be able to breathe, that you'll choke or that your throat will close up. You can read more here:

A few people have asked the same question in the past, and everyone who shared your fear reported that everything went fine for them :)!

It's brilliant to hear that you managed to make an appointment and go after all those years - well done :respect: :respect:!!

Hi Lisa!
Welcome to the group! :welcome: I recently went in to have some teeth removed and I too was afraid of the numbness. I just wasn't sure how it would feel and what it would feel like when it wore off. I had the laughing gas like the other two suggested and that did help to calm me. The numbness was just fine. It felt like my tongue was too big for my mouth but I felt no pain at all. The nurse told me to take one of the painkillers as soon as i could start to feel tingling in my lips or tongue so that way I wouldn't feel the pain when it came on fully. I was very nervous going in. I barely talked to the staff and I cried when my mom left me with the dentist and the nurses in the room (i'm 24) but they were very reassuring and did not embarrass me for reacting the way I did. Stay in touch with this site because the people here are very supportive and I think you'll find you can get through this a little easier! Good luck!

Pologirl :XXLhug:

I'm beyond terrified of being numb! (I won't do the sedation) All sorts of things go through my mind like.....I won't be able to breathe, I'll choke or my throat will close up!

As Letsconnect said it's not physically possible for the things you fear to happen...it feels numb and therefore like it has swollen but in reality it hasn't...it's the same as before. Also modern anaesthetics can numb smaller areas and with shorter duration...so you may find the experience better than the last time.

Personally I fear pain so being numb is entirely welcome to me and enables me to relax during treatment....but everyone's different. Why not tell your dentist and they will probably be able to reassure you that you can't choke from it.

freakout said:
Hi Lisa & :welcome: First of all, congrats on taking that big step and seeing the dentist :jump: Are you afraid of the injections or the being numb part? Does your dentist offer gas (nitous oxide)?

Thank you for the nice welcome!
I'm just afraid of being numb not the injection. I won't do the gas either bcuz I have issues of being in total control. I do take Klonopin for my anxiety so, I'm hoping it helps get me through.
I'm already starting to shake, feel like I'm going to be sick and all that good stuff. :cry:

Some of the posters have found that listening to their ipods helps to take their mind off things.

She told me to bring a walkman which I will be doing I'm going tonight to buy a relaxation cd.

letsconnect said:
Hi Lisa,
it's physically impossible that you won't be able to breathe, that you'll choke or that your throat will close up. You can read more here:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/feeling-numb/

I have read this over and over again trying to get it through my head.

A few people have asked the same question in the past, and everyone who shared your fear reported that everything went fine for them :)!

It's brilliant to hear that you managed to make an appointment and go after all those years - well done :respect: :respect:!!

Thanks! I have no idea how I was able to go! I just hope I don't chicken out tomorrow.

Brit said:
I'm beyond terrified of being numb! (I won't do the sedation) All sorts of things go through my mind like.....I won't be able to breathe, I'll choke or my throat will close up!

As Letsconnect said it's not physically possible for the things you fear to happen...it feels numb and therefore like it has swollen but in reality it hasn't...it's the same as before. Also modern anaesthetics can numb smaller areas and with shorter duration...so you may find the experience better than the last time.

Her assistant told me I'd be numb for about 2 hours. I know once I'm out of there I'll be ok. I guess it's being numb and having to lay flat that bothers me the most!

Personally I fear pain so being numb is entirely welcome to me and enables me to relax during treatment....but everyone's different. Why not tell your dentist and they will probably be able to reassure you that you can't choke from it.

Pain is no problem for me lol I had 2 kids all natural!

I will mention it to her tomorrow!

I don't know if this helps but I was given the laughing gas and did giggle a little but was still completely conscious. I can still remember everything that happened and even know what the dentist was saying to me as he was making the extractions. It sounds like you'll be fine though!

Okay thought I'd check back with everyone! I went to the dentist last Tuesday and had some cavities filled!  :jump: I really didn't think I was going to go through with it just bcuz I was totally terrified! I was reading this board most of Monday night and I believe it helped. But, I think what really, really helped was positive thinking trust me I did a lot of that!!
I just kept telling myself that, this is something I want to do it's not a bad thing and it won't take that long at all. It's not brain surgery I'm just getting my teeth fixed and I'll be so much better off for it!
The plan was to only fill 2 cavities but she said we'll see how you do and if you're ok we'll do 4 so I guess she thought I was ok (which I was!)  bcuz I had all 4 done!! I brought a mini hand held fan and had it pointed at my face the entire time lol I had a relaxation cd to but, I couldn't really hear it over them talking no big deal though.
I really only complained twice once when she left the cotton ball under my tongue but all I did was point and she took it out right away! Second time my mouth was getting really dry but I didn't know how to tell her so, I just pointed again and she knew exactly what I needed!! She sprayed water in my mouth it felt so good! lol  :cloud9:
I truly believe it's all mind over matter I pretty much proved that to myself! I wasn't crying, shaking etc.... like before.
Yes, I was nervous but, I did it and I'm so much better off for it!!!
I go back in Jan. for 2 more fillings and an extraction!

Lisa

That's so great Lisa! Congratulations! Now you can enjoy the holidays without worrying about the next appointment. :jump:

:jump: Well done Lisa I'm glad to hear it all went so well for you. I use a cd walkman with a relaxation cd when I need any drilling done and find it really helps me relax. Hope all your future visits go as well, keep in touch.

Congratulations, Lisa! I'm glad you got the work started and did so well, too.

This comment is a little late, but maybe it can still help a little in the future, or maybe help someone else. What helped me the most with my fear of numbness was to ask the dentist how far the numbness would spread. Knowing what to expect helped keep my imagination from going so wild, imagining the numbness spreading and spreading all over, or never wearing off. Even though I know better now, I still feel some relief once the edges of the numb area start tingling, because then I know the feeling is coming back.

The first time I got a shot and the numbness started spreading, it scared me so much I had a panic attack, and then I thought the novocaine caused the panic attack. It was many years before I could get myself to go back to the dentist. So I think the key to dealing with the fear of numbness is asking questions about it, how far it will spread, how long it will last, etc., whatever your concerns are.

Good luck with the rest of the work, and I hope all goes well for you.

chicken said:
So I think the key to dealing with the fear of numbness is asking questions about it, how far it will spread, how long it will last, etc., whatever your concerns are.

What a great tip :)! Would you mind if I added it to our page?

Hi, Lets! Please feel free to use my tip (or anything else I write, and feel free to re-word it if you wish) on the "fear of numbness" page or any place else you want. I'd be flattered, and hopefully it will help somebody else.

Another thing you might want to consider -- maybe posting information about how far numbness should spread for various procedures. For instance, when I had two lower teeth pulled, my lower lip was numb to the middle, as well as parts of my tongue on that side, and I was also numb up to about the front third of my ear, as well as my scalp about a thumb's length above the top of my ear. At least now I kind of understand why this is necessary, but it's a pretty scary sensation when you don't know it's going to happen.

Numbness for procedures on the top teeth isn't so bad, because it doesn't spread as far, but it's good to know what to expect. A couple of times the numbness has gone to the bottom of my eye, which scared me a little. But now I just make sure to mention it to the dentist if I'm worried, so they can reassure me, and then I feel better.

Another thing that might help would be give an idea how long the numbness will last. I know it varies, and it's taken me anywhere from an hour or two to six hours before the feeling would begin to come back.

Anyway, in my opinion, the more information, the better, because information helps stop bizarre thoughts and overactive imagination.

Many thanks for that :thumbsup:!!

I'm not sure if it would be possible to list all the different "numbness scenarios" as there may be too many factors involved, so listing every possibility is probably out of the question (Pars if you happen to read this your comments would be appreciated...) - but the tip about asking your dentist is great :)!

thanks again for sharing this info!

Back