• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of IV sedation happening TODAY!

M

Mcsheryl

Hi, all. I'm new to this forum but reading it has been soothing and helpful. I'm having a decayed and broken wisdom tooth extracted today with IV sedation. I suffer from anxiety, and I'm terrified something will go wrong (I won't wake up; I'll have a heart attack or resulting sepsis!). Have never been sedated, not even for my C-section! Took me 10 years to go see a dentist due to phobia; have had four fillings since going two years ago with only local. By some miracle this is the worst problem I have had. Am crying and panicking and everyone thinks I am overreacting. I won't die from this, right? My mom cheerfully reminded me that Joan Rivers died from a routine endoscopy sedation...I am so freaked out right now. My daughter needs me! I know the oral surgeon is the best and has a stellar reputation but things happen...help! :cry:

Sending good thoughts your way! I had IV sedation years ago, and it was pretty wonderful. The most frightening part is what you're experiencing right now. The anticipation is terrifying and all the "what ifs" going through your mind. People have IV sedation ALL the time for all sorts of procedures and 99.99999% of the time its completely fine. If it wasn't, malpractice insurance companies wouldn't allow dentists to use it, because they're all about making money and not paying out claims.

You are absolutely amazing for facing your fear and getting this tooth taken care of. Please let us know how it goes xx

McSheryl,

HOw are you doing? HOpe it all went well and you are healing good.

Back