• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The feeling of the novacaine keeps me from having an abscessed tooth pulled

M

Melzer73

Today I had my apt to have my tooth pulled. Of course it’s a molar and has three roots and is gonna need to be kinda cut out some. That does not bother me in one bit. What bothers me is the novacaine shots and the feeling that they leave. They put a ton of topical on my gums in front and back and left the stick in my mouth to help get things super numb. Well all that did is make me feel like barfing from the taste and then I felt like I couldn’t swallow and I literally bolted out of that chair and went outside to get some air. That feeling scared me more than any of the other stuff that is going on. I don’t care about him cutting me or whatever. I’m so overwhelmed with the fear of not being able to swallow. Needless to say he decided the best bet was to not go thru with the surgery today because once he starts he’s going to need to finish. How Can I get pass the feeling of not being able to swallow? He has prescribed me Valium to take before next time I go, I cannot do iv sedation so this is my only option. Will Valium hep me relax enough to push thru? I’m so desperate to get this over with but my anxiety is winning.

Re: The feeling of the novacaine keeps me from having an abscessed tooth pulled

Melzer,

I HATE that feeling too and its SO scary.. that is the worst to feel you can't swallow , i panic when I feel this way and cannot relax, and just is awful. Thankfully I somehow was brave enough this time, to bring it up to my new dentist I don't want any of the stuff to drip down my throat and how I hate this feeling. Thankfully he has been very good and conscientious of this and not once has any went down my throat because he is well aware of my fears.. I cannot handle the feeling of not swallowing. Have you expressed to your dentist how much this affects you and see if they can be extra careful to not get stuff near your throat and only by the gum/tooth area ?

I went to an oral surgeon and this was my first visit with them. They were so focused on my fear of the actual needles that I think they went way overboard with the topical. They loaded it on the front side and the back side of my gums and then left the qtip with the topical on it in my mouth. So I had a ton of it in my mouth. Normally does a novacaine shot numb your throat? It has been years since I’ve had novacaine so I am a bit super anxious over it. The tooth I’m having pulled is in the top left. After today I know I can handle the rest of my mouth numb but not my throat area. That feeling is not the best.

tell them that you specificlly do not want the anesthetic liquid going down your throat. My dental office and previous dental offices will be right there with the suction to get anything that is about to drip. they can be extra cautius ..it might not be 100 percent.. but.. definately if you ask and they pay extra close attn. it is MUCH better!!

So the actual novacaine shots will not make my throat feel like that? It’s an upper tooth that’s being pulled.

The novacaine shots shouldn't make your throat go numb. I just had an upper molar pulled and it was a breeze. the dentist put some of that numbing agent on my gums, game me a shot of novacaine, and the entire thing was over within 5 minutes. And no, my throat didn't go numb at all. In fact, I was also scared of getting that exact feeling you describe. Let your dentist know that feeling freaks you out and he should be able to keep it in check. Good luck!!