• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tissue loss with Scaling and Root Planing/Deep Cleaning

S

SunnyDayz

I've reviewed the forums and have not seen anyone comment on this, so I'm asking because I'm beyond anxious. My perio recommended scaling and root planing on 4 mm pockets. This seemed a bit excessive to me, as I have good hygiene and no calculus build up. Either way, I asked if I could get even further gum recession or tissue loss or other risks associated with this procedure. He sort of looked down and said, 'well, there might be some tissue loss, you never really know.' This left me more anxious. I'm not sure if he's trying to upsell me. Can anyone tell me if you've had the procedure if you noticed further gum recession and regret?

If you have mild periodontitis then scaling and root planing is the recommended treatment. You can have calculus build-up below the gum line, which cannot be easily seen and can't be helped by home hygiene. If it has progressed to periodontitis, then the treatment is necessary. Complications are very rare and pretty much never outweigh the benefits of stopping further progression of the periodontitis. The most common side effect is swelling and bleeding of the gums afterwards.

As always, feel free to get a second opinion. 4mm is within the ranges of mild periodontitis, where scaling and root planing is recommended. But if you are genuinely concerned with your dentist upselling you, a second opinion could set your mind at ease.

Back