• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction/Braces/Irrational fear of dentits...

  • Thread starter Thread starter S.P.I.
  • Start date Start date
S

S.P.I.

Junior member
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
5
Hi there,

I have an irrational fear of dentists and I have been putting off going to the dentists for a long time now. My lower teeth are pretty crooked, especially the central incisor which is basically out of its row and has pretty much rotated sideways...

Now I am going to go to the dentists tomorrow and have it checked out, but I am pretty sure he will ask me to get it extracted and then get braces to fix the alignment problems of the rest of the teeth..

I am really freaked out, how bad does extracting a central incisor hurt? :(


EDIT: I forgot to add this part but my lower teeth are a bit crowded, and I have a lateral incisor right behind my central incisor.... so the doc is probably gonna extract that as well. Will any of these extractions require stitches? And when exactly do dentists stitch gums up?
 
Last edited:
You might want to see what the dentist recommends before jumping to too many conclusions and worrying about them. Although extracting a lower incisor can be done to free up space, there sometimes are alternatives. If the crowded out one does need removing, usually they come out fairly easily. There might not even be a need for stitches if the opening is quite small. Usually stitches are placed near the very end of the extraction right before the gauze goes in and the chair goes up.
 
Back
Top