• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction fear.

S

Smxo

So I’ve been losing my mind about my teeth for a few years now. I finally plucked up the courage to write on here to you in hopes of some positivity and help so I’ll begin my story!

my bottom right tooth went bust acouple of years ago. A filling fell out and I never sorted it due to an intense fear of dentists. It eventually got worst and the whole tooth has eroded away and rotted. I get constant infections in said tooth and I’ve had many many courses of antibiotics to help. The dentist has told me it needs to come out.
I had an extraction booked but when I got in the chair I had a huge panic attack and couldn’t do it.
I have to have the local anaesthetic without adrenaline due to a heart problem. im so so afraid of the injection. I have health anxiety so it’s awful. I’m not scared of the procedure or the healing but I’m absolutely terrified of the local anaesthetic. I have read so many horror stories of people dying after the local and having cardiac arrests or allergic reactions!! Has anyone had rotten teeth extractions and it’s went well? I’m absolutely beside myself with worry as I don’t want to get continues infections and end up getting sepsis.
I know I sound ridiculous but I’m at my wits end!!
(my tooth above that one has broken now too so that needs removing too)
I appreciate any response! Thankyou so much x

I have had four molars extracted in the past two years. None were rotten but one had a necrotic nerve. I just had a lower molar out on Thursday and it was cracked with a large filling.
I used to be terrified of getting an extraction. I hate the injections with a passion. After the first one it was a little easier once I knew what to expect. I also ask for nitrous oxide so that I am a little more relaxed for the injections.
Have you thought about nitrous or an oral sedative to help you relax? The dentist/surgeon will be closely monitoring you while they work and won’t let anything happen to you. When I had my extraction Thursday, there were a couple of times that I was holding my breath (from nerves) and the surgeon stopped and asked me if I was breathing okay before he started working again. He checked in with me multiple times throughout.

In over 40 years as a dentist I have encountered one person who had a genuine allergy to one of the local anaesthetics. Ironically enough, he was a dentist himself :)

It's possible to be allergic to some of the preservatives used in local, but the reaction is never severe, I've never heard of anyone having an anaphylactic response to them, but I suppose it's possible. Usually there's a slight rash apparent for a day or two and that's about it.

Not having adrenaline in local due to heart issues is not really necessary, it's rather an old fashioned point of view. However, there are plenty of good alternatives so some dentists go along with the patient on it rather than have an argument about it :)

Interestingly though, the preservative agent which is linked to allergies is not used in adrenaline free locals.

Back