• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction trauma

  • Thread starter Thread starter h1gh0ffaj
  • Start date Start date
H

h1gh0ffaj

Junior member
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
1
Location
Louisville, KY
I was recently told they have to pull a tooth, I broke it at the beginning of the year and they're just now getting to it. They said they'd put me under anesthesia and everything.. it's just scary. When I was younger my mom took me into a random dentist to have a tooth looked at. They told her they "had" to pull it. Like 4 people held me down while they pulled the tooth, no anesthesia, no nitrous, no anesthetic. No type of sedation whatsoever.. they just held me down and ripped it out. Years later come to find out that tooth didn't need to be pulled. I guess now that they mentioned extracting a tooth, it brought up that memory and it kind of scares the shit out of me to even think about it. So I guess I'm just wondering... I'm valid for being low-end traumatized, right?😂has anyone else gotten a tooth removed, was it as bad as I'm thinking it is?
 
I’ve had several extractions as an adult. I honestly dont mind them as much as actual dental work. For the most part they are faster ! It’s nothing like it was when we were kids. I have a lot of dental trauma too
 
@h1gh0ffaj I have had several teeth removed due to my phobia leading to avoidance of the dentist. I have only had oral surgeons remove the extracted teeth under local anesthesia only. My experience has been that it goes very fast. The first on was an upper molar and I was in shock. He started tugging at it. I only felt pressure. When he stopped after less than five minutes, I thought he was taking a break. He was done! Most of the others were similar. Very quick and just a bit of pressure. Just so I'm being completely honest with you, it was a bit harder to get two of my lower molars out because they were next to each other and I waited a long time to get it done while the decay advanced. They were also under crowns. So it took a bit more work for the oral surgeon to get all the pieces out. Even then, it was not traumatizing. I did have one molar pulled by a dentist. It wasn't horrible, but he was not nearly as fast. I would always choose an oral surgeon if you can because it's just more their specialty, so they're faster and I think it just comes out better. May I ask which tooth you need extracted?

Also - I am so sorry that you had to go through that. You should have had anesthetic and you should have been treated more gently.
 
@h1gh0ffaj I hope you are feeling better and have had your tooth extracted. That was an awful experience that you had to go through. Four people holding you down is a terrible memory. The pain must have been unbearable. I have found that sometimes molars can take a little longer time to pull. I've have Triazolam and that was helpful.
 
Back
Top