• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper 2nd molar replacement

• Thread starter Scared all the time
  • Start date
S

Scared all the time

I was wondering any opinions on getting an implant on an upper 2nd molar? I had my upper 2nd extracted due to an infection 4 weeks ago , now I’m concerned about a few things. First I’m having a hard time adjusting, seems my cheek is touching the 1st molar and driving me crazy. Maybe it needs more healing and filling in time? I’m worried about other teeth possibly shifting and causing more issues over time. I’ve heard several opinions about implants for the upper 2nd molar and just don’t know what to think, some say get the implant others say it’s not recommended due to the area I’d possibly need a sinus lift and bone grafting ( which both are terrifying to me) and I hear that tooth has a high failure rate (which also scares me to death) I haven’t a clue how to find a proper dentist to perform all this as I lost trust in mine. I’m just at a loss hoping it heals more we’re I’m not consistently aware of my cheek on that tooth ? I’m tired of being scared over this all and tired of not feeling normal. Thank you so much in advance for you time to read this I just don’t know how to cope at the moment and don’t know what to do any advice would be appreciated I just need to move passed this and get some sort of life back. I don’t want to keep going done a dental rabbit hole filled with anxiety

And is it possible to have a bone graft done after your extraction site is healed? Are there more issues? Wish I knew before and pressed my dentist to do one when it was first extracted no I’m worried

I'm fairly sure we've had a thread about this before, someone who felt the same after getting a 2nd molar extracted... I can't remember how it finished up, blame old age!

It's only been 4 weeks, things are still healing and changing, so it's very early days yet in your recovery. Sometimes it can help if you get a dentist to smooth off the outer/back corner of your first molar, takes a few seconds and isn't painful. That can help to get over the "strange" feeling for your cheek.

For the bone graft, I'm pretty sure they can do it when they extract your tooth and/or when they insert the implant. If you had an infection, I think they would need for things to heal first.

For the bone graft, I'm pretty sure they can do it when they extract your tooth and/or when they insert the implant. If you had an infection, I think they would need for things to heal first.
Yes there was an infection at the time of extraction maybe that’s why a bone graft wasn’t offered at the time. Thank you!

I'm fairly sure we've had a thread about this before, someone who felt the same after getting a 2nd molar extracted... I can't remember how it finished up, blame old age!

It's only been 4 weeks, things are still healing and changing, so it's very early days yet in your recovery. Sometimes it can help if you get a dentist to smooth off the outer/back corner of your first molar, takes a few seconds and isn't painful. That can help to get over the "strange" feeling for your cheek.

Thank you! I keep telling myself healing takes time but anxiety is a terrible curse to have ? I guess I was expecting too much too soon I always want thing done/fixed/ all better immediately lol impatient person with anxiety I guess super bad combo lol

Back