• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do you do when you're poor?

U

unsure

I recently got up enough confidence to call the dentist and make an appointment although everyone is really understanding at the place I go and my insurance covers most of it. My dentist is older and I felt like she did kind of chide me for my teeth. She asked me what I was doing to cause decay because it was near the gum line and they are chipping away- I don't drink pop and although I've had eating disorders in the past which might be a cause? I felt like I was going to pass out so couldn't really give her an answer.

It's just upsetting. I was hoping to feel proud of myself for actually going, not horrid for the shape my teeth are in.

I can't afford a different dentist so do I just suck it up and feel horrid?

Hi! I think you can say to her that, though you understand she is trying to help, the way she asked the question made you uncomfortable. She may have suspected that you were purging, but didn't know how to ask. Dentists don't often do a great job at addressing mental health issues. If you feel comfortable telling her that you have a history of an eating disorder, that might help. I think most dentist just want to try to understand the cause so they can help make your teeth better.

Back