• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

what helps calm nerves when wearing a dental dam and getting fillings?

N

nutzforcats

I need some ideas to help me calm down during my fillings(2) i need done at the end of the month- i get anxious with a dam on (worried i can't breathe as i have sinus issues) and the clamp in my mouth stresses me out as well, help!

Don't know if you already saw this but this page has lots of ideas like setting up a stop signal, planning breaks with the dentist, breathing and muscle relaxation techniques, listening to music or wearing noise cancelling headphones.

Thank you, i didn't know about this page so will check it out now.:)

Breathing exercises really help! Box breathing is a good one, breathing in for 4, hold for 4, breathe out for 4, hold for 4. Really focus on the way it feels, how the breath feels entering your nose or mouth and out again, how your body feels, whether it is breathing from your chest or your stomach etc. I always take ibuprofen 1hr before and a rescue remedy drops mixture 30m before and just before I go in too ☺️

ok, thank you, i do try to breathe but get stressed and forget to do them, will try it this time. I have some anxiety roll on i use but not sure if it works or not.

Maybe you can ask the dentist if you can skip the dental dam? I live in the US, and my dentist doesn't use a dental dam for fillings at all. I didn't even know that was a thing until I started browsing this forum.

i don't think they do that here, i think i did ask and their reason is to keep it dry/clean, which i get, and maybe i will try to not let the anxiety tell me i can't breathe, i do get through it so will try harder. I had to postpone due to weather and an ill pet, maybe in this next 3 weeks i can watch more relaxation techniques. my dentist is busy and only works 3 days a week, so sucks i can't just get it done in a week.

Back