• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What interview questions would you ask to determine if a dentist was good with anxious/phobic patients?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I was thinking..if we are deciding on which dentist is right to help us, as an anxious pt and want to learn more about them, their style and how they deal with anxiety.. which questions would you ask.

a few I came up with..

First I'd want to know why they came into dentistry and what is their favorite part to get a personal feel for them.

then pertaining to anxiety

A new patient walks in and identifies themselves as very anxious patient how do you proceed with the appt.?

What if an anxious patient starts crying in the chair, how do you respond

Anxious patient comes in after being out of dental chairs for 20 years and has a mouth full of cavities and tx to do.. what do you say to them?

do you think it is the patients fault they are anxious

For what reasons do you think people avoid the dentist?

What specific fears of going to the dentist do people have?

What are some specific ways, techniques, that you can help your anxious patients.?

What is not a good thing to tell or do to an anxious patient

An anxious patient gets scared mid tx and puts the stop sign up what do you do

other ideas?? what would you ask?

They all sound good. I freeze at the dentist, although I do put on a brave face. So I wouldn’t be able to think of any questions at the time. Unless I’d written them down in advance.

I freeze too Jaysee19! that is why I have to write everything down or it will just go straight out the window of my brain at the time.. then I get home and remember.. of course..

I’m getting better, but I have to force myself to ask the questions I want. And I find myself holding imaginary conversations in my head days in advance trying to make sure I know what I want to say. A bit crazy!
At the last session I was very proud of myself because I did clear a few things up. But I think this dentist is a good listener and takes his patients concerns seriously. I went to an ENT guy today and he had his own agenda and really didn’t hear me out. He probably still doesn’t understand why I was there, but I’m getting what I want so it doesn’t really matter. Such a difference though!

I’m getting better, but I have to force myself to ask the questions I want. And I find myself holding imaginary conversations in my head days in advance trying to make sure I know what I want to say. A bit crazy!
At the last session I was very proud of myself because I did clear a few things up. But I think this dentist is a good listener and takes his patients concerns seriously. I went to an ENT guy today and he had his own agenda and really didn’t hear me out. He probably still doesn’t understand why I was there, but I’m getting what I want so it doesn’t really matter. Such a difference though!

I do the conversations in my head too, pretty much with any person or topic I am nervous about. It's not crazy at all, on the contrary - it helps you process the past and prepare yourself for the future conversations, finding the right words, getting a feel for what might be difficult to tell and what not so.
Sorry to read about your ENT experience. I hate when doctors have their own agendas, after all it's your teeth and you should be the person included.. glad your dentist is a good one and listens.

As for assessing nervous patient friendliness, I would want to know what do they think they do differently regarding nervous patients to a normal practice. Whether they use any screening tools beforehand to assess the level of dental anxiety. How the first consultation with a new nervous patient looks like (particularly do they start with a chat outside of the chair). Are they familiar with trauma informed care. What kind of training the dentists and the stuff have to deal with dental anxiety. But I have to say, this would be the stuff I would want to know if I was assessing for someone else or for purposes of a study or so. If it was about me looking for a practice, I would simply write them my story, ask how they could help me and see how they reply, watching for cues.

I think if you consider yourself highly anxious you should contact the office in advance and see how the office responds as your first contact. At least you will get an idea if they care.

100% agreed @comfortdentist .. This is what I had orginally had in mind when thinking of this question as it really does give a good heads up as to who might be approachable ,warm, and a good place to try and what their approach is with anxious patients

Why is this contact important? If they don't have or can't find the time to discuss it with you then you can expect the same in treatment.

Back