• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What should I expect at my first dental visit in several years?

  • Thread starter Thread starter laya
  • Start date Start date
L

laya

Junior member
Joined
Sep 8, 2011
Messages
1
I have several problems with my teeth because I have not been to the dentist in years and a large factor in that is my anxiety. In the past I have had the worst toothache I could ever describe and when I think of someone touching my teeth I immediately start panicking. I know this is "in my head" though and it is irrational. I'm forcing myself to go to the dentist and have just set up my appointment for about a week from now. I told them that I had not been in a long time and I had several teeth which need attention. I've been having moderate toothaches recently and I feel that they are going to get worse if I don't get the problems taken care of.

It would really help me if I knew what was going to happen? Will they do x rays, a cleaning, fluoride treatment, etc?
 
Why don't you phone back and ask them, as this will vary from practice to practice and dentist to dentist. Some typically have you see a hygienist before the dentist etc etc and you may not want to do that.
Also what you want to happen at a first visit should also come into play but many places especially in USA have set formats that they will only depart from with prior arrangement.

You should probably just meet the dentist for a chat as a first step.

In the USA x-rays and an examination at which treatment is discussed to be done at a later appointment would be the minimum you are likely to encounter.

Remember it is up to you what you allow to happen. If they are not understanding of that then they are most likely not the right place for you, given that you are trying to break a long-term avoidance pattern.

Good luck and well done for booking in.
 
Back
Top