• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

When you can’t afford procedures

  • Thread starter Thread starter Islandersgirl74
  • Start date Start date
I

Islandersgirl74

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Messages
126
What do you do when you just can’t afford procedures? My dentist gave me a treatment plan and I.T will run 9000. Add on that ill be using sweet air and I.T will probably be more. I just can’t afford all this right now. I live pay check to paycheck as I.T is and Work in a catholic school making no money. I def know I need to get the most work done on the bottom but think I need to tell him I have to hold off on getting the top done. Just afraid he’ll turn around and say that I’ll need to cause I.T May bring up other issues. I am so upset by the whole thing.
 
Hi there,
I understand where you’re coming from with the cost issue. I stayed away from the dentist out of fear and also out of not being able to afford the major work I knew I would need done. I was a single mom with no insurance for a long time and very bad teeth. A few months ago at 41 I had the remainder of my terrible teeth extracted and bone grafting done to prepare my mouth for full implant supported dental bridges. I won’t go into details except to say that we had to stretch the cost across two credit cards and a loan and still had to have the works done in steps.

Your dentist came up with a care plan which is a base and so you know what you’re looking at as far as work needed. You are the captain of the ship so to speak so whatever you do or don’t have done and when is entirely up to you. I’m sure dentists are used to hearing “I can’t afford this right now” since they charge the price of a Cadillac for some procedures. You would think that this would force some compassion on their part and they could lower their fees, but I don’t think it will ever work that way. Money makes the world go round. I have made a promise to God if I ever come into a ton of money I will open a dental clinic and help those with bad teeth who otherwise would not be able to afford procedures. No one should have to suffer with bad teeth.

You have your consult soon so take time to go over the care plan then. I’m sure your dentist will understand and if they don’t then find one who will. I empathize with losing your teeth at your early age. It’s not an easy thing to deal with mentally, so it’s good you’re reaching out for support. I wish you the best with everything, keep us posted please.
 
Back
Top