• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth recovery

C

cake2008

Hi there,

I've had a quick squizz through the archives but can't really see anything relevant... I'm 48 hours post extraction of my lower left wisdom tooth, and it feels ... off, kinda tight where I imagine the hole/clot is. It doesn't hurt (but am taking painkillers regularly as advised) but just feels really uncomfortable; I'm finding it hard to eat and talk (which is hard when I have 2 kids to shout at...I mean look after ;))

I also know that dry socket is rare, really, but when is the risk period over? I've read 24-48 hours (in which case I've passed it!), 1-3 days, 3-5 days... I know it's not an exact science but I really am terrified of the dentist and really don't want to end up struggling to go back for treatment (had this done under IV sedation but still screamed apparently, I don't remember much)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Carly

Last edited:
It will take a while for things to feel 'normal' again- feelings as you've described are to be expected. If you haven't had any pain and you are following all the instructions you were given regarding rinses etc- then things should gradually start to get better over the coming days and weeks. It sounds very unlikey that you have dry socket. Nevertheless- give yourself some TLC and take things easy! (Easier to say when there are 2 kids to contend with!) :)

Back