• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about x-ray results

  • Thread starter Thread starter peterppp
  • Start date Start date
P

peterppp

Junior member
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
2
I've just visited the dentist as my bottom wisdom tooth is constantly very smelly. It isn't impacted but is slightly lower than the molar it is next to, points (very) slightly towards the cheek and is lower than the gum behind it (which is where it smells).

I asked for the tooth to be removed as the infection has been on and off for about a year. This was agreed and I went for an X-ray where the plate is held in the mouth. This caused a query so I went for a panaromic X-ray which too showed the query.

The dentist was unsure what was next to the wisdom tooth, said he had not seen it before and will send it off for a second opinion before removing the tooth.

Now the question is, and I know it must be almost impossible to answer without seeing the x-ray but on a normal x-ray if you were to trace a line across the top of the lower teeth when you get to the end tooth on the left or right the line would tend to drop to the bottom of the crown and join the jaw forming a V like shape. On my right tooth this was the case but on the left the jaw line seemed to be higher and run level with the top of the tooth and the dentist was unsure what this could be.


I'm 40 years old and have no other health issues and have to admit to being worried as to what this could be. It looked just like the bone on the left but also had a line running in arc under it (but I am not sure if this was of concern to the dentist or not).

Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive but based on the above does anybody know what was confusing my dentist? It will be several weeks before I hear back and I am more than a little concerned!

Thanks in advance
 
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am not a dentist and cannot answer you, try not to worry too much I am sure whatever it is, your dentist can deal with. It may be nothing, I wish you luck, and maybe when a dentist comes on here they might be able to give you a clue.

I just wanted to say welcome and let you know you are being read, and you have us all wondering now, so please let us know what it is and how you get on. Sorry I cannot be of any help to you. :)
 
Hi Carole, Thank you for the welcome and I will let you know how I get on. It's probably a very difficult (if not impossible) question to answer without seeing the x-ray but I tend to worry a lot! I don't mind how much work is involved to fix it as I quite enjoy going to the dentist just as long as it is nothing "nasty".

I am thinking about going elsewhere next week but would a second panorex x-ray in a week be unnecessarily dangerous?
 
I wouldn't think so, and if you are concerned and want a second opinion then you should get one.

All the best let us know how you get on :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
 
Back
Top