• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried that my jaw is too small for a standard wisdom tooth extraction

N

Nutfig1

The last time I went to a dentist was for a cleaning in 1999 when I was thirteen. I have an appointment on August 21th with "Dr. L" to remove my bottom left wisdom tooth with a large cavity. Lately the pain in my tooth has increased a bit from a dull, sporadic ache to an occasional sharp (not severe) pain in my jaw or ear, so I made an appointment with another dentist, "Dr. F," on Wednesday to see if he can go ahead and remove it.

But he doesn't perform surgical extractions, and as a child I was told by my orthodontist that my mouth was a bit smaller than normal, which still seems to be true to this day.

I am very much hoping that Dr. F can still remove my tooth using just the local anesthesia because the thought of a surgical extraction with Valium scares me because I am not familiar with the effects of the drug. I have a feeling that he is going to tell me that my jaw is too small and that I will have to wait for Dr. L to surgically remove it in August. :frantic::terror:

Any words of reassurance would be greatly appreciated

Nutfig,

Seems you feel pretty comfortable with Dr F. Typically Local if they give you enough is pretty good so you don't feel it and with valium , it will just put you to ease, .I use it for procedures and I can say first I was scared then for me, it is so subtle.. it doesn't even make me feel weird or anything its just like you feel your body relax and you are chill and just don't care as much.. Takes down the anxiety in a pretty natural way.. Thats my reaction anyways.. I hope you can get it done where you are most comfortable.

I have a very small jaw/mouth. I had to have 8 permanent teeth pulled as a teen (4 of them impacted wisdom teeth) just to make my teeth fit in my mouth with orthodontia.

I recently had to have an extra wisdom tooth extracted (lucky me), that was also impacted. The oral surgeon had no trouble doing it with just the local anesthetic. He had me tilt my head way back and move my lower jaw over to the right. You should be fine. Your jaw will probably be really sore for a few days after, though.

Back