A
aj123
Junior member
- Joined
- Jan 24, 2014
- Messages
- 2
This will be the first time I have explained in length the reasons behind my teeth and the way they are, I have not discussed this with my parents, my partner nor any other family or friend. Before I get started I'll just let you know now that I've been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and adjustment disorder (I find anything hard to deal with if it's new or changed)
When I was in my early teens and had my last remaining baby tooth somewhere around the back, my dentist at the time decided that rather than put me through the "stress" of extracting it (thinking back it would have been quite damn easy and quick) so she left it, "It'll fall out by itself soon enough".....*6 months later*
"Oh it's still there, let's extract it" - literally 5 seconds later - "Oh the adult tooth hasn't moved into place properly as it had no space, best go see a specialist" *after a specialist visit and a quote for close to 8K which my parents could never afford* "The tooth will no move itself, you will need surgery, braces for years and more treatment or your face will turn to *insert random image of gravel*". I stop caring. My trust in dentists is shot to pieces, if given the opportunity I would assault my childhood dentist.
10 years on after no checkups my teeth are all pretty shaky, at this stage only one will need extreme measures due to enamel loss, the tooth that never moved into place is still..sitting where it was, rotated almost 90 degrees due to the baby tooth being left in place. Adding to my mistrust of dentists, when I was inn my early teens I had trouble with my inner-ear which resulted in specialist treatment - a long metal spinning rod with cotton the end, which also acts as a vacuum was stuffed inside my ear canal to the point of my eardrum, bursting it. Luckily I was able to have it completely repaired through surgery, but I will NEVER forget the pain I experienced as if I was going to die - which I now associate with medical tools of any kind being placed near my head, I had 8 stitches in the top of my head recently after an accident, refused anything other than the needle and thread. My pain tolerance is higher than normal but I can not stand the thought of that feeling again.
So here I am 10 years on, am about to come into some money for the first time in my life and I'm considering getting my teeth fixed, not for myself as my self-worth and esteem are basically non-existent but I am doing it for my partner. She is the only reason I find a way to deal with anything these days, and I would really like to be able to smile at her (I've literally trained my face to not smile due to my teeth) It is not for my own feelings of inadequacy, I just don't want her to have to spend any more of her life looking at someone as disgusting as myself.
End rant. Thank you for finally allowing me a place to vent.
When I was in my early teens and had my last remaining baby tooth somewhere around the back, my dentist at the time decided that rather than put me through the "stress" of extracting it (thinking back it would have been quite damn easy and quick) so she left it, "It'll fall out by itself soon enough".....*6 months later*
"Oh it's still there, let's extract it" - literally 5 seconds later - "Oh the adult tooth hasn't moved into place properly as it had no space, best go see a specialist" *after a specialist visit and a quote for close to 8K which my parents could never afford* "The tooth will no move itself, you will need surgery, braces for years and more treatment or your face will turn to *insert random image of gravel*". I stop caring. My trust in dentists is shot to pieces, if given the opportunity I would assault my childhood dentist.
10 years on after no checkups my teeth are all pretty shaky, at this stage only one will need extreme measures due to enamel loss, the tooth that never moved into place is still..sitting where it was, rotated almost 90 degrees due to the baby tooth being left in place. Adding to my mistrust of dentists, when I was inn my early teens I had trouble with my inner-ear which resulted in specialist treatment - a long metal spinning rod with cotton the end, which also acts as a vacuum was stuffed inside my ear canal to the point of my eardrum, bursting it. Luckily I was able to have it completely repaired through surgery, but I will NEVER forget the pain I experienced as if I was going to die - which I now associate with medical tools of any kind being placed near my head, I had 8 stitches in the top of my head recently after an accident, refused anything other than the needle and thread. My pain tolerance is higher than normal but I can not stand the thought of that feeling again.
So here I am 10 years on, am about to come into some money for the first time in my life and I'm considering getting my teeth fixed, not for myself as my self-worth and esteem are basically non-existent but I am doing it for my partner. She is the only reason I find a way to deal with anything these days, and I would really like to be able to smile at her (I've literally trained my face to not smile due to my teeth) It is not for my own feelings of inadequacy, I just don't want her to have to spend any more of her life looking at someone as disgusting as myself.
End rant. Thank you for finally allowing me a place to vent.
