• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

12 days after teeth pulled and still no dentures

C

cchiatto

:(My aunt is 77 years old and had to have the few teeth she had left pulled and get dentures. She had partial sfor 25 years but the rest of her top teeth died and needed to come out. She was assured that she would have her dentures put in when her teeth were pulled. Now it is 12 days later and never ending excuses as to why she does not have her teeth. She has lost 6 pounds and now only weigh 92 pounds. She is so up set she can't sleep and she is devistated that she will never have teeth. They have all her money. i would appreciate suggetions on the best action to take to get her teeth. do most people get them right away or do they need to wait? What is an aceptable amount of time to wait?

Re: 12 days after teeth pulled and still no dentur

I think it would depend on when she had an impression of her mouth taken. They can fit immediate dentures, which are put in as soon as the teeth are taken out, but she would have had an impression taken a few weeks before the extractions for this.

Do you know when the impression was taken?

I would give the dentist a ring and ask them whats going on, it's terrible to leave her being unable to eat when she is already quite frail.

What "B" said, ring the dentist and ask what's going on.

This sounds terrible and as if they are taking her for a ride. When I knew I was going to have all my teeth extracted I said that I didnt want to be without teeth for one single second because until I was in that position, I didn't know anything about immediate dentures and couldn't understand how they could possibly fit them when you've just had teeth out, are swollen, sore and bleeding. Anyhow they assured me that was the best way now and it does help to heal the gums quickly. So, I had impressions taken one week (in fact I had two sets of impressions) then bit measurement, then they made a partial plate, without teeth on it, but just to check that it fitted and was comfortable, which it was, and then from that they made the dentures and 2 weeks later I was in the chair having my teeth out under full IV sedation and then seemingly a few seconds later I woke up with lovely new teeth, none the worse for wear. In fact it was 1 hour exactly.
So, as Gordon has said, you really must get onto that dentist immediately and demand to know why they didn't fit immediate dentures, if they hadn't taken impressions beforehand, why not. I should really kick up a fuss. Do let us know how you get on because though your aunt can get energy drinks to make sure she is getting all the vitamins etc that she needs, there's nothing like proper food.

Back