• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here, wisdom teeth pulled 2 days....PANIC!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter fearful1
  • Start date Start date
F

fearful1

Junior member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
4
I have been reading these posts non-stop since I found out I absolutely have to have my wisdom teeth pulled. I am 33 years old, and freaking out! My appt is Friday morning. My wizzies started coming through at 30 (I thought until then I was lucky and wasn't going to have to mess with them because they were under my gums!) but now a corner of each lower wizzie is showing through my gum. On Xray, the corner that is still under the gum on each side is just under the corner of my jaw, preventing them from erupting any further. I've been told they are breeding grounds for infection. Plus, I just had braces on the bottom for the second time and don't want to screw anything up! So, I'm supposed to get them out Friday am under IV sedation and I am freaking out!! I had a dental phobia years ago and stopped going for 9years, but was able to get over that and have had LOTS of dental work done since. Don't know why this is so incredibly scary for me, I think because of the sedation part, and also because I have heard so many horror stories about pain with having wizzies out. My questions are, will it be less painful since part of the tooth is already through, or does bone still have to be removed?? Am I going to be a drooling, blithering idiot with loads of cotton in my mouth when I wake up? I get embarrassed very easily! Also, I sedate really easy...one benadryl will help me sleep for hours, and nitrous makes me sleep. I'm scared they will give me too much sedation and either I won't wake up, or I'll be groggy and stupid the rest of the day!! I'm also afraid of pain, and deathly afraid of dry socket. I've read everything I can on how to avoid it, but I know it can still happen anyway! UGH! any words of wisdom (no pun intended!) would be greatly appreciated [smiley=frightened.gif]
 
Re: New here, wisdom teeth pulled 2 days....PANIC!

Hi [smiley=welcome.gif]

I moved this post because although it is regarding your wisdom teeth I thought you may get more anwers and support here than in the other section.

I had my wisdom tooth out with IV sedation and like you I was petrified at the thought. I can understand why you are so worried but really you needn't be. IV sedation is great as you don't remember a thing about what's going on, depending on how deeply sedated you are. I understand you have fears about the level of sedation you will need but you will be fine, the dentist knows what to do and if they know your concerns beforehand will be able to sedate you accordingly. You also said you had dentla phobia but overcome it a few years ago, is this the same dentist you will be seeing? If so then they will know about you and what you are afraid of. I guess regarding the dental questions you have you could always ask the resident dentist's Gordon or Pars in the dentistry questions section as they will give you a lot more information that I could!
 
Re: New here, wisdom teeth pulled 2 days....PANIC!

Thank you for the support:) No, actually I have since switched dentists. The one I finally went back to after 9 yrs was my childhood dentist, and what got me over the hump was using nitrous at appts. But, as I said earlier, at times I would fall asleep with that, so sedation kind of scares me! I switched to a more "high tech" dentist, because my teeth seemed to have so many problems (my earlier dentist was VERY old school-to the point of making you spit in a bowl rather than a hygeinist using suction!) He is very nice, but I have on occasion found myself inching back to phobia because after I had all of that work done, it has been some time since I had to go back. That may be making this extraction thing worse as well..when I was going all of the time I got less and less afraid. I haven't had any major work in the last year or so, and now the fear is back. Especially since this seems so above and beyond anything I've had done thus far. I did post some questions in the dental question part, I hope he can ease my fears:) I have a 13 month old baby girl, and my biggest fear is not waking up from sedation and not being able to see her grow up. I've really let my mind take control and run amock, and I'm not sure how to get grounded again:)
 
Back
Top