M
Mowil
Junior member
- Joined
- Aug 26, 2013
- Messages
- 3
I went last Saturday to a dentist clinic after not going to the dentist in four years, after a quick dental exam and X-rays I was told I had 14 cavaities tht needed to be filled, I asked of I needed to break up the fillings and was told it wasn't a big deal they could fill them all. Now after a visit to another dentist on Monday and a week later my teeth are still very sensitive and when I try to chew anything my teeth start burning and throbbing on the right side. The dentist on Monday different from the one who did the 14 fillings said that he could take a look after everything calmed down so I made an apt forms September but now I am thinking something could be real wrong as I should be able to eat a soft taco after a week without crying.
I am not a dentist but several things you mentioned do not sound right in my opinion. Fourteen fillings following a 4 year absence sounds kind of extreme and I would never fathom doing all 14 at one time. Most dentists encourage breaking them up into several visits completing 2 or 3 at a time at the very most. Sensitivity is normal following a filling for up to 2 weeks but it should not be so severe that it is inhibiting your ability to eat even soft foods. Then again, having so many fillings at once, I can imagine the sensitivity may be amplified or intensified due to the amount of work performed at once. May I ask out of curiosity how long the appointment took and if you were having any dental pain prior to the fillings? I would definitely get a second (or third) opinion about what is going on and at a different practice if possible. I would not go back to the first dentist who performed the initial work. You poor thing! I hope it all settles down soon.
Please keep us posted.
. In my experience, 1 filling takes roughly on average 30-45 minutes and 2 take around 60-90 minutes so yes, something seems off here in my opinion even if the fillings were quite shallow. It is good that the second dentist seems to be good so far. I would stick with him as long as you feel comfortable with him. If you are having a limited exam appointment for a follow-up to the work due to problems insurance should not have issues with this. If you would like to file a complaint about the first dentist you have 2 options, you can go to the office manager of the practice and attempt to resolve things on a small scale or you can make a formal complaint to your state's dental board who handles licensure and practice issues.