• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

15 years old.. Teeth are rotting away. I need HELP!

C

cercei

I abused my teeth for 2 years, and it finally has caught up with me. More than 4 months ago my first cavity rotted into a hole in the middle of my top molar. I thought "Oh well, i'll go to the dentist soon." A short while after that another top molar on the other side did the same thing . I got a little more scared, but continued to think "oh well." Both of those holes are now rotten.:cry: One of them is a smaller type hole, but still black inside. The other one only has the sharp outer edges left. The entire middle is gone, and the tooth itself is brown and rotting away. My bottom teeth don't have holes ( yet ) But I KNOW they will soon. All my bottom molars have cavities, and one of them has 2 on one tooth. I also have cavities all along my upper molars.

Last night another thing happened as well. I was horrified when I rubbed my tongue along my top teeth and found that my very back molar had a HUGE PIECE chipped off the back. Basically one side of it is missing now. I cried for half the night because I know its time, but I can't do it. I'll tell you why.

I don't fear the pain. I don't fear how long I will be there. I fear being trapped, not being able to do what I want or move around. Being stuck there with my mouth open just numb. What if I can't swallow? Years ago I was diagnosed with severe anxiety. Years later, its gotten worse. Pretty much DAILY I wake up feeling sick. I continue to feel sick all day until about 6-8pm. Nothing helps except waiting for it to go away. I don't even go out much anymore, except in the evening, or at night. I also have IBS. How can I plan an appointment, if I can't guarantee I won't be "sick"? I also think I have TMJ. My mouth clicks when I open it, I feel VERY uncomfortable ( and dizzy ) if I keep my mouth open for more than 2 minutes. I also have this ear problem, and when I lay back I get dizzy. I don't know what to do, as i'll have to lay back for them to work on me. I also fear having a reaction to the numbing stuff. I'm so confused, and I feel hysterical and delirious when I think about going to the dentist:confused: I need to get it taken care of before something even more horrid happens, like perhaps a whole tooth falls out.

Hi cercei.

You have taken a big step already. Writing down your feelings can be a great help.

I know it's difficult to make an appointment. It took me three attempts and many panic attacks to even phone a dentist to enquire about becoming a patient. In the end I found a dental practice I liked better anyway. I found it easier to go in an make an appointment rather than talk to someone down the phone (I'm not good at speaking to strangers on the phone). Ask for an appointment just to speak to a dentist and not to get anything done, a good dentist will take their time to make you comfortable (take a friend or family member for support), explain your fears and concerns and if you have a habit of freezing up whilst speaking then write everything down so nothing gets left out. My dentist was happy to check my teeth whilst I sat in a regular chair so I didn't have to lean back, it was a start. Remember that you are in charge of your treatment and if you aren't 100% happy you can stop them.

Please don't do what I did and leave it for five years, the whole tooth won't fall out and it will cause more trouble and pain than it's worth.

I wish you all the best and I hope you can get it sorted sooner rather than later:hug4: (Keep us posted)

:goodpost: I agree with everything that treenagirl has said to you. If you would rather, you could email a few of the dentists that are in the areas you could get to and see what feed back you get. Do explain as you have on here how you feel and why and let the right dentist help you to get the treatment you need.

Let us know how you get on :butterfly:

Since you have IBS I would suggest trying gluten free diet for a few weeks and see if you get better. If if you don't have Celiac you still can have gluten sensitivity and there is no test for that.