• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

20 years of pain and discomfort

  • Thread starter Thread starter MAS72
  • Start date Start date
well, I did it.

Had my first dental appointment in 20 years today 3 hours ago. Due to the 20 year wait and the stupid smoking, some teeth had shifted, the gums stopped bleeding awhile ago (not good), and they were starting to recede in the front. I felt sick to my stomach as this appointment came closer. I'm thinking best case scenario is surgery, and they can save some of my teeth, worst case scenario is surgery, and they need to be extracted.

When I got there, I was this close to turning around and leaving, but reluctantly went in. The Dr, who I previously talked with said "I'm glad you showed up today", I immediately responded "I'm not". They took me in the back to get x-rays. The hygienist asked if I would like to start getting some of the plaque off, or wait for next time. I said, let's get started.

Now the x-rays - minimal bone loss, mainly in the front, the one cracked tooth, my pockets were mostly 5's & 6's, I won't need any extractions, one root canal on the cracked tooth, but the nerve is dead, so I won't feel it, and not a single cavity. I said "are you sure? Look again". She said, "do you want cavities?"

I couldn't believe it. Early stage of periodontal disease, but she said very treatable. I have to go back Oct. 22 for the first procedure of the deep cleaning, but when I got back to my truck, I teared up. This has been an albatross around my neck for 20 years, now I have hope. 20 years is a long time, and if I can so it, anyone can.
 
Thanks for sharing your journey! I'm on a similar one myself. Just wondering how you're doing now, since a year has passed since your last post?

well, I did it.

Had my first dental appointment in 20 years today 3 hours ago. Due to the 20 year wait and the stupid smoking, some teeth had shifted, the gums stopped bleeding awhile ago (not good), and they were starting to recede in the front. I felt sick to my stomach as this appointment came closer. I'm thinking best case scenario is surgery, and they can save some of my teeth, worst case scenario is surgery, and they need to be extracted.

When I got there, I was this close to turning around and leaving, but reluctantly went in. The Dr, who I previously talked with said "I'm glad you showed up today", I immediately responded "I'm not". They took me in the back to get x-rays. The hygienist asked if I would like to start getting some of the plaque off, or wait for next time. I said, let's get started.

Now the x-rays - minimal bone loss, mainly in the front, the one cracked tooth, my pockets were mostly 5's & 6's, I won't need any extractions, one root canal on the cracked tooth, but the nerve is dead, so I won't feel it, and not a single cavity. I said "are you sure? Look again". She said, "do you want cavities?"

I couldn't believe it. Early stage of periodontal disease, but she said very treatable. I have to go back Oct. 22 for the first procedure of the deep cleaning, but when I got back to my truck, I teared up. This has been an albatross around my neck for 20 years, now I have hope. 20 years is a long time, and if I can so it, anyone can.
 
Back
Top