• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheGeek
  • Start date Start date
T

TheGeek

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2016
Messages
96
3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

Hey all, again.

I registered here a good while back. My post history is funny. In the time I've been a member here I still haven't had any dental work done. I've missed literally around 20 appointments to have the work done on my mouth. My own fault, and I only have myself to blame for what I'm going through now.

Thankfully in just over 48 hours I will be pain free. I am ready for this because I am not at the point where the pain is so bad.

For about a month I've been living with horrible pain 24/7. All day, every day. Tell a lie, for the past 3 years I've lived in pain. But the pain in the past month is a 15 on a 1-10 scale. It's funny how much pain your body can tolerate.

My Dad died in January, and since last July the family was dealing with a terminal Cancer diagnosis. At that point I really had no interest in looking after me, I had to look after my Dad. And when he died it took a long time for me to bounce back. I neglected my mouth.

I don't sleep properly anymore. Last night I fell asleep at 5am due to the pain. Night times are dreadful. As soon as the sun sets, and I put my head on the pillow, the pain seems to shoot through the roof. A deep throbbing, stabbing pain. It hurts my eyes, my ears, my head, my jaw. Constantly.

I wake up in the morning and the pain is still there. I get about 4 hours sleep before the pain wakes me. Strangely though when I wake up the pain is no longer affecting my eyes, and face.

My morning ritual used to be breakfast, and a cup of tea. It's now paracetamol and sitting with my face in my hands until they kick in. Sometimes they don't kick in. Hot drinks are off the cards these days.

It got so bad the other night I called 111 (alternative to 999, for less serious ailments). I was begging them to send an ambulance because I need the teeth removing now! They didn't. There was nothing they could do for tooth pain. The next morning I went to the dentist in tears. I begged them to remove my tooth, but my dentist doesn't feel comfortable removing the rotten wisdoms.

He rushed me through an appointment with the oral surgeon for Monday. It's at a different surgery. Whilst he made the call I heard them say "Your patient has had 23 appointments with us and missed them all". My dentist replied "He's ready. He will not miss this one I'm certain".

And he's right. I'm in that much pain I want to go. I would go right this second if I could. When the pain outweighs the fear your legs will carry you to the appointment whether you like it or not.

I'm lucky I avoided any nasty infections. The moment I feel any swelling, or the pain is very bad, I get an appointment with my dentist so they can check. She gave me some antibiotics a few days ago just incase my pain is an infection but she said she can't see any swelling or possible infection area. It was more of a precaution before my treatment on Monday I believe.

They know me very well at the dentist. The lovely lady who works behind the desk knows all about my situation and she had a really nice chat with me during my last visit. She assured me I'm going to be find and she told me to pop in and say hello after the treatment. I think she's got me a little gift for afterwards.

Apparently my teeth are not that bad. It's just the teeth that do need to come out are ruining it all. I've got 2 rotten wisdoms, below the gum line.

So yeah, here I am :)

Whether or not I have sedation will be decided Monday. I'm not that bad once I'm in the chair, it's just the numb feeling initially. But, I've been practicing with strong orajel and I'm now used to the numb feeling. But that's me being a sissy and to be honest I'm not even too worried about the appointment. It's more excitement to finally live without tooth pain.

I've lost weight because I can't eat properly. I don't sleep properly. I feel drained and sore. I'm always in a mood because the pain is just horrible which rubs off on my family. I don't play with my son much anymore because I am in just too much pain. We eat dinner at the table and every night he watches me struggle to eat, often screaming in pain when a bit of food hits the nerve and sends me jumping off the chair. Urgh!

My pain barrier is pretty high. I can withstand a lot. But your body has this way of telling you "now it's time".

I just want to add, don't let your pain get this far. I'm probably very close to a nasty infection, I've pushed my luck here and wasted a good 3 years of my life due to this pain.

I WILL WRITE THAT SUCCESS STORY! OH YES I WILL!
 
Re: 3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

Geek, I hope it all goes smoothly for you Monday. I hope they can make you feel comfortable while they remove the two culprits causing this grief. There's nothing quite like intense dental pain, amirite?:scared:

And I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad!

Start writing that success story because it'll happen soon enough! ;)
 
Re: 3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

There's nothing quite like intense dental pain, amirite?:scared:

The worst pain in the world. I'd rather be bitten by my OBT turnatula and that's saying something.
 
Re: 3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

Forgot to add, I found a strange temporary cure for the pain ... exercise! I find if I jump rope 1000 times when pain is bad it will reduce the pain to almost 0. After an hour it seems to return with a vengeance though. Maybe because the blood is being used to repair muscles from exercise?
 
3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

It's likely endorphins. I've experienced the same thing with severe dental pain.
 
Re: 3 years living in constant pain. Missed over 20 appointments. In 48 hours I'll be pain free!

Hey all, again.

I registered here a good while back. My post history is funny. In the time I've been a member here I still haven't had any dental work done. I've missed literally around 20 appointments to have the work done on my mouth. My own fault, and I only have myself to blame for what I'm going through now.

Thankfully in just over 48 hours I will be pain free. I am ready for this because I am not at the point where the pain is so bad.

For about a month I've been living with horrible pain 24/7. All day, every day. Tell a lie, for the past 3 years I've lived in pain. But the pain in the past month is a 15 on a 1-10 scale. It's funny how much pain your body can tolerate.

My Dad died in January, and since last July the family was dealing with a terminal Cancer diagnosis. At that point I really had no interest in looking after me, I had to look after my Dad. And when he died it took a long time for me to bounce back. I neglected my mouth.

I don't sleep properly anymore. Last night I fell asleep at 5am due to the pain. Night times are dreadful. As soon as the sun sets, and I put my head on the pillow, the pain seems to shoot through the roof. A deep throbbing, stabbing pain. It hurts my eyes, my ears, my head, my jaw. Constantly.

I wake up in the morning and the pain is still there. I get about 4 hours sleep before the pain wakes me. Strangely though when I wake up the pain is no longer affecting my eyes, and face.

My morning ritual used to be breakfast, and a cup of tea. It's now paracetamol and sitting with my face in my hands until they kick in. Sometimes they don't kick in. Hot drinks are off the cards these days.

It got so bad the other night I called 111 (alternative to 999, for less serious ailments). I was begging them to send an ambulance because I need the teeth removing now! They didn't. There was nothing they could do for tooth pain. The next morning I went to the dentist in tears. I begged them to remove my tooth, but my dentist doesn't feel comfortable removing the rotten wisdoms.

He rushed me through an appointment with the oral surgeon for Monday. It's at a different surgery. Whilst he made the call I heard them say "Your patient has had 23 appointments with us and missed them all". My dentist replied "He's ready. He will not miss this one I'm certain".

And he's right. I'm in that much pain I want to go. I would go right this second if I could. When the pain outweighs the fear your legs will carry you to the appointment whether you like it or not.

I'm lucky I avoided any nasty infections. I am very cautious about an infection and I know the risk of sepsis is real. The moment I feel any swelling, or the pain is very bad, I get an appointment with my dentist so they can check. She gave me some antibiotics a few days ago just incase my pain is an infection but she said she can't see any swelling or possible infection area. It was more of a precaution before my treatment on Monday I believe.

They know me very well at the dentist. The lovely lady who works behind the desk knows all about my situation and she had a really nice chat with me during my last visit. She assured me I'm going to be find and she told me to pop in and say hello after the treatment. I think she's got me a little gift for afterwards.

Apparently my teeth are not that bad. It's just the teeth that do need to come out are ruining it all. I've got 2 rotten wisdoms, below the gum line.

So yeah, here I am :)

Whether or not I have sedation will be decided Monday. I'm not that bad once I'm in the chair, it's just the numb feeling initially. But, I've been practicing with strong orajel and I'm now used to the numb feeling. But that's me being a sissy and to be honest I'm not even too worried about the appointment. It's more excitement to finally live without tooth pain.

I've lost weight because I can't eat properly. I don't sleep properly. I feel drained and sore. I'm always in a mood because the pain is just horrible which rubs off on my family. I don't play with my son much anymore because I am in just too much pain. We eat dinner at the table and every night he watches me struggle to eat, often screaming in pain when a bit of food hits the nerve and sends me jumping off the chair. Urgh!

My pain barrier is pretty high. I can withstand a lot. But your body has this way of telling you "now it's time".

I just want to add, don't let your pain get this far. I'm probably very close to a nasty infection, I've pushed my luck here and wasted a good 3 years of my life due to this pain.

I WILL WRITE THAT SUCCESS STORY! OH YES I WILL!

How did you fare?
 
Back
Top