• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2nd molar lower left removed

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmg
  • Start date Start date
J

jmg

Junior member
Joined
Jul 17, 2015
Messages
6
Location
Ontario
Hello. I am new to this site and I have been coming here often. I have decided to write hoping to get some opinions on my situations.
This has probably been asked before and I apologize in advance.

On Tuesday July 14th 2015 around 11:30-12:00. I had my tooth removed. 3rd tooth total in my lifetime. (I am not proud of it and I have had a lot of tears over this). Growing up I didn't have a very good time with my teeth.
You'd think I wouldnt have any concerns since this is not my first time, but every tooth is different.
Its been almost 72 hours since the extraction. It's only 10:30am.
I am a smoker.
I REALIZE SMOKING IS BAD. Please dont comment saying I need to quit, this that and then some.
I have been smoking for a very long time and I smoked gently while I had my other teeth removed, including 1 wisdom tooth.
I havent been smoking too much since I got my tooth removed, but I have been GENTLY here and there. I didnt smoke the first 24 hours because I knew that was just too soon.
Everywhere I read says after 72 hours your kinda in the clear to smoke but I wouldnt go nuts right?
The site looks normal, still red and swollen, I didnt get pain meds for it so im just taking an anti-inflammatory which doesnt really help but I can make it through. Its actually the best one over all the only ones ive had out pain wise. Im still a little swollen cheek wise and my jaw hurts - all normal.
Ive been eating soft foods, mostly scrambled eggs lol pudding, some jello, soup etc.
I have been rinsing with warm salt water every time I eat and "smoke"
Its hard to explain when I smoke but most smokers know the struggle. (when I actually go without a smoke, I get dizzy headaches, upset stomach, kinda crazy withdrawals from the nicotine. )
I dont drag off of the smoke like I usually would. I dont do a "suction" type to my mouth. Very hard to explain. I also know that the actual smoke itself can irritate the site.

Basically to make this shorter ( sorry you have to read all of this. Trying to give details. ) :redface:
Im SCARED SHITLESS of dry socket. I know im at risk because I have a few smokes a day. around 3-4 to be exact. I usually smoke a pack a day so saying that is a huge difference.
Im traveling on the 31st - far away. Not flying, Driving.
My dentist says I will be good by then, but my question is..
Is it really OK to be smoking at least after 72 hours?
I didnt get any stitches or anything in the hole - my dentist didnt cut my gums or anything literally just took his time getting the tooth out in once piece.
Im worried about that because all my other teeth I had stitches in so it made me feel a little better knowing there was something there covering the hole -
The blood clot is still on the site and the whitish stuff is there - normal. and good. ;D

Its actually still a little sore - the odd time I will get a little rush of sharp pain and then it goes away.
I really dont want dry socket and I havent had a smoke since yesterday cause I thought its not worth it I can hold off for a while.
Anyone else have advice, questions, tips? anything?
Thank you so much for your time.
 
Hi JMG,
I know exactly what you're going through. I had my upper molar extraction last Friday and went through the same worries.
First of all, don't be ashamed that you've lost 3 teeth. Even non-smokers go through this sort of thing. Smoking doesn't help of course but even my periodontist told me that sometimes even with her patients who do everything right, they still have problems. My grandmother never smoked or drank and she lost all her teeth before she was 50 ( makes me terrified to think that I inherited her genes). Stress plays a huge role in the health of our teeth as well and I developed an auto-immune gum disease due to stress.

You really do need to be very careful about sucking on anything but if you are at the 72 hour mark and you're not in severe pain, your clot has probably formed well and you're out of the woods. I'm impressed that you were able to not smoke for an entire day!! WOW:jump: Do you have access to e-cigarettes? the electronic kind? Those are better than regular cigarettes. I'm not advertising Blue brand but I know that they have a lighter 'hit' /less suction than some of the other Ecigs. I know because I've tried them. Be mindful how you suck on them. Just suck very lightly and slowly.

Since you smoke, you need to increase your intake of Vit C ( Ester C). Can you get some of that with your E cigs? Take 500mg every 6-8 hours with some type of soft food like oatmeal.

Maybe if you start the Ecig it will help you quit altogether. It will certainly help your teeth and gums!!

Hope you're feeling better soon
 
Hi JMG,
I know exactly what you're going through. I had my upper molar extraction last Friday and went through the same worries.
First of all, don't be ashamed that you've lost 3 teeth. Even non-smokers go through this sort of thing. Smoking doesn't help of course but even my periodontist told me that sometimes even with her patients who do everything right, they still have problems. My grandmother never smoked or drank and she lost all her teeth before she was 50 ( makes me terrified to think that I inherited her genes). Stress plays a huge role in the health of our teeth as well and I developed an auto-immune gum disease due to stress.

You really do need to be very careful about sucking on anything but if you are at the 72 hour mark and you're not in severe pain, your clot has probably formed well and you're out of the woods. I'm impressed that you were able to not smoke for an entire day!! WOW:jump: Do you have access to e-cigarettes? the electronic kind? Those are better than regular cigarettes. I'm not advertising Blue brand but I know that they have a lighter 'hit' /less suction than some of the other Ecigs. I know because I've tried them. Be mindful how you suck on them. Just suck very lightly and slowly.

Since you smoke, you need to increase your intake of Vit C ( Ester C). Can you get some of that with your E cigs? Take 500mg every 6-8 hours with some type of soft food like oatmeal.

Maybe if you start the Ecig it will help you quit altogether. It will certainly help your teeth and gums!!

Hope you're feeling better soon

Thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate someone actually reading my problems lol
Im only 24 and have had to get 3 teeth taken out in the past 4 years.
I have bad genes with teeth areas. 5 years old I was getting baby teeth removed for my adult teeth. Thats another story.
This tooth feels different this time around - maybe im just used to it :giggle:
I have heard of the ecigs and stuff but im just not ready to fully quit. You have to want to quit and im just not there. Sometimes I get sick of it and its really gross.
Is that vitaman C? ive been taking my multi vitimans. if that helps.
Its been way past 72 hours but im definetly not going nuts on food or even smoking yet..
Im hoping its good because I really need this to heal.
It looks like a huge deep socket. Seems like that whitish gum tissue is going away slowly.. not sure if thats suppose to. I dont even remember my other tooth that got taken out and it was back in Jan.
 
It really stinks to have bad teeth. I didn't inherit the good genes from my mother's family. They have no cavities, no problems whatsoever. I'm an endless well of dental problems. My Appalachian roots are showing! Literally!


I'm glad you described your gum tissue the way you did. I can barely see mine because it's on top but a few days ago I did see a bit of clot mixed with the white covering and now the clot part is gone and it's all pinkish white. I guess that's ok. The tooth next to it bugs me more than anything now because it feels weird- too large and sort of numb feeling. Did you get nitrous when they extracted your tooth? I didn't have anything except local and it was the most horrible experience. Definitely one of those that makes a person want to brush and floss ten times a day:cry: AND quit smoking!
 
I just got freezing. My dentist was pretty awesome though, he didnt cut my gums or had to cut the tooth at all, just slowly took his time and took the tooth out in one piece.
 
Back
Top