• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 days after extraction - still swollen, dull pain and white stuff

B

becky22

hey, two weeks ago i had three teeth out on one side and by the third day after having it done, the pain had virtually gone and i was eating more solid foods, wednesday i had three more taken out but there was an issue with one of the teeth where it turned out i had three curved roots instead of the two normal ones you are meant to have, and so they had to separate the roots and go right down, had issues with sedation too with it not working properly and panicked a lot, leading to the whole thing taking an hour and twenty minutes.

Its three days since it and yesterday my gum became all swollen, i still have dull pain,sometimes stabs and twinges in the area which builds up until i wash it with salty water and there is white blotchy stuff on it that looks like food but doesn't go when i rinse with salty water, it hurts most when i open and close my mouth, and i'm scared to eat any solid foods on either side as the other area is still healing.

Is this the beginning of dry socket or an infection? Feel a bit panicky about it as i cant afford more time off work!

The white stuff is normal, it sounds like your jaw is sore still which it may well be for a few more days. You had your mouth open for a long time and it was a traumatic extraction. This can leave you feeling more sore than when you had the other three out.

If the pain gets worse or you are worried at all contact the dentist and let them have a look. You are usually prone to dry socket up to 72 hours after extraction but check with your dentist if pain killers don't ease the pain. It should be getting better not worse feeling.

Let us know how you get on. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::hug5:

The white stuff is normal, it sounds like your jaw is sore still which it may well be for a few more days. You had your mouth open for a long time and it was a traumatic extraction. This can leave you feeling more sore than when you had the other three out.

If the pain gets worse or you are worried at all contact the dentist and let them have a look. You are usually prone to dry socket up to 72 hours after extraction but check with your dentist if pain killers don't ease the pain. It should be getting better not worse feeling.

Let us know how you get on. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::hug5:

Thank you :) I left it for a while to see if it would sort itself out but its been just as swollen and have had a large piece of bone appear across the whole length of the extraction, i heard you could get bone fragments come through so thought it was normal, my boyfriend went for a check up with the same dentist this morning and she asked how i was getting on, and he explained how i was feeling, and she told him to get me to ring them; i have done and theyve booked me in for an emergency appointment at the end of the day. hopefully will all be sorted :s

I am glad you got to see the dentist. How did you get on, I hope you are okay and feeling better. :)

Back