• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

30 yrs old, havent been to the dentist in almost 10 years

G

GeoBro215

Last time i was at the dentist when i was about 20 i had a horrible experience in which the dentist did not numb me enough after multiple complaints. I went briefly in the mid 2010s to another dentist who just shamed me and didnt make me feel cared for. These experiences have left me with a relatively intense fear of the dentist. Last night while eating, i noticed that nearly half of a rear tooth is missing. I dont know when it happened but its significant and im stressing so bad. i called a dental clinic today here in the city and left a message but im honestly struggling. Along with the new crack, my avoiding of the dentist has really messed up my mouth and i have a ton of other work to get done im sure. i have an old root canal that needs extracting and another filling out on the bottom left side. Im truly just embarassed that i let it get this bad. Im also worried that a clinic will not offer gas or other mild sedatives to help me.

Also, I'm new here, but some of your guys posts have already been helpful :)

Hi GeoBro215,

Well done for posting and contacting a dental clinic. You are in a good direction so continue that way. It’s a bit like mountain climbing: at first the mountain looks impossible to climb, and then the climber focuses on placing the feet and palms, advancing step by step till they Get to the top. You can advance in small steps making sure that in each step you feel safe.
the first step is finding a dentist who is good treating fearful patients. I invite you to watch some of the videos I have made about this:

Hi GeoBro215:welcome:,

well done on calling a clinic! This is super brave! :claps:Sounds like your few past experiences were a nightmare. I am not surprised that you are not keen on going now...
You got some great input from Dr.Daniel, I second everything he said.
Did the clinic get back to you?

Last time i was at the dentist when i was about 20 i had a horrible experience in which the dentist did not numb me enough after multiple complaints. I went briefly in the mid 2010s to another dentist who just shamed me and didnt make me feel cared for. These experiences have left me with a relatively intense fear of the dentist. Last night while eating, i noticed that nearly half of a rear tooth is missing. I dont know when it happened but its significant and im stressing so bad. i called a dental clinic today here in the city and left a message but im honestly struggling. Along with the new crack, my avoiding of the dentist has really messed up my mouth and i have a ton of other work to get done im sure. i have an old root canal that needs extracting and another filling out on the bottom left side. Im truly just embarassed that i let it get this bad. Im also worried that a clinic will not offer gas or other mild sedatives to help me.

I had a similar experience I was having bad toothaches at 17 that forced me into going to a dentist but it was an awful and because of that it put me off going for 15yrs until I was again forced to go+I'm still paying the price now (when it probably could have been avoided). ? Make sure you find the right dentist check reviews etc maybe even one for nervous patients,the embarrassment should lesson after that first appointment+it may not be as bad as you think.

Well done that's your first step ??... I hadn't been to a dentist in 30 years until December there & I was struggling so bad for years and my teeth where in such a state ...and like you I had not to good experiences ...but I built the courage up and went ,,best thing I've ever done & abit proud of myself ....I was riddled with anxiety so bad ... But so far I've had 4 extractions , 1 root canal & 3 fillings ,,. And I've crowns and bridges coming soon.....so believe me if I can you can ????

Back