• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 teeth (2 impaced wisdom teeth) removed under sedation: 5 weeks on!

M

Mthompson42

Hi everyone,

On the 31st August 2012 I had 2 lower wisdom teeth removed and the molar either side of them (because the wisdom teeth had caused them to decay beyond repair) under sedation. For the week before the procedure I was never off this site reading stories and people's questions and was pretty scared! So now that it's been almost 5 weeks since I thought I owed it to everyone to post my story here :)

My wisdom teeth immense pain for about a year to the point where they made me cry and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My top wisdom teeth had come in through perfectly straight and without issue by the way. So after several dentist visits and referrals to clinics etc, I set a date to have the 2 bottom ones removed and the pretty much dead molars either side of them.

I decided to have them out under sedation and to me this was the most worrying part. I firmly decided that I really did not want to be under general anesthetic even though I have been under before, when I was 8 years old. I just couldn't understand what it would be like under sedation; how long would it take, how much would I feel, would I say anything embarrassing etc. Anyway, it turned out it was all perfectly fine, and even though I definitely do not want anything else done, I wouldn't hesitate in being sedated again if I had to.

I was hooked up to the anesthetic and sedative after having my blood pressure taken and the dentist asked me if I felt any more relaxed. I said no not really and felt silly for not feeling any different. Then after maybe 10 seconds he asked me again and I started laughing and remember coming out with something silly and irrelevant to the situation, but then I don't remember anything else.

The only snag I had was that i sort of came to when he was removing the first wisdom tooth. It hurt maybe like it hurts if you pinch yourself, and I managed to say 'ooh ooh ooh' and he gave me more sedative. I suppose it was quite strange feeling him yank it out, but in a way it was strangely satisfying...o_O

Then I remember coming too and the dentist asked what my parents were called so he could go and tell them it was over. Now, I was desperate to keep my teeth and take them home, I had this whole ceremony prepared where I was going to smash them to smithereens with a brick to punish them for making my life so miserable. So in my doped up state I begged the assistant if I could keep them and to my huge disappointment she said no! Embarrassingly I pleaded and pleaded and whined and called after her. But no such luck. I'll never forgive her... haha.

So I rested there for a while and went home and after an hour or so the numbness wore off and I was in no pain at all really. I changed my gauze after maybe an hour and didn't feel the need to replace it. The bleeding continued for the rest of the afternoon and evening and then I was ready to eat. The worst thing was not being able to eat proper food! It's amazing how much you look forward to food and meal times without realising it! This was on the Friday, and I stuck to soup, yoghurts, and things like that. On the Wednesday I went to the park and tried having an ice cream, it took my maybe half an hour to drool my way through it making my friends gag everywhere. Later I had some brownie, I was so proud of myself like I'd just tied my shoes for the first time! By the end of the first week I was on pasta and then pretty much normal food!

Like a lot of people I was TERRIFIED about getting a dry socket, each day I would spend half an hour after each 'meal' rinsing with salt water very delicately. On the first day I'm pretty sure a blood clot came out but I seemed fine. I spent days being so careful not to lie on my face the wrong way, talk to quickly, each slowly just to avoid the dreaded dry socket. I had a major freak out after my first bit of brownie thinking I'd dislodged something. If you think you can feel something at the back, I can almost guarantee it's just food or your gums starting to fold inwards. All in all quite an icky first week.

At the 2 week mark I was feeling completely normal, eating normal food and doing everything as I used to. Now that 's been 5 weeks I still haven't attempted steak, and some kinds of crisps (chips) are too sharp and just slice into my gums, so they're still off the menu. My wholes at the very back from my wisdom teeth have almost closed up and where my other molars were, the gums have sealed nicely, I can rub my tongue over them to clear food and everything and find myself chewing food with them actually.

To finish, I feel so lucky in that I seem to have had a really really really positive experience especially as I had got it into my head that a dry socket was inevitable. My advice is just to be careful. And don't be afraid to try things, I was so over cautious it drove everyone mad but in retrospect I can appreciate just how strong and quick at healing your mouth can be. So I hope this has calmed someone, I felt like I owed it to you all for calming me down :) It feels soooo good knowing that my teeth aren't going to kick off and hurt me like that used to ;D Good luck to you all!! (sorry this is so long...)

Thank you very much for putting your success story on here it will help a lot of people.

CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::yay::yay::yay::dance2::dance2::welldone::welldone::welldone::dance2::dance2::yay::yay::yay::dance2::dance2::cheer::cheer::cheer::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I am so glad it all went so well for you and that you are now healed and pain free. :grin::grin::grin:

Back