• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 teeth out. 4 fillings. No sedation. 45 minutes. What was all the fuss about?

T

TheGeek

4 teeth out. 4 fillings. No sedation. 45 minutes. What was all the fuss about?

Can you believe it. After 3 years putting of extractions I DONE IT TODAY!
I am someone with extreme anxiety. I am on medications for it. I don't leave the house much due to anxiety. So as you can imagine the dentist is a big no no.

Let me just say that the bark is worse than the bite. The worry was for nothing.

I woke up this morning slightly anxious. Not too bad though. I decided to keep thoughts positive and stop focusing on the negatives. The way I see it ... this has to be done. No option. Worrying won't solve the problem or make the situation any easier.

Mom picked me up at 10:30 and we made the way to the dentist. She was under the assumption I was having sedation. I told her I didn't want it and I felt happy enough to have it done without. I really didn't want to be groggy. I have an important meeting tonight on Skype and I need to active for it.

I was called up, and my heart started to race, but I quickly thought "Stop being silly, you'll be out of here in no time".

The dentist said "We're waiting for the main dentist to do your sedation". I replied "I don't want it. Lets just get this done". He agreed.

He numbed me up, and to be honest I didn't even notice. My mouth was wide open most of the time. The numbing is what I feared. Whilst the numbing was taking effect he done my fillings. Quick and easy. I had to hold my hand up to pause so I could swallow. The dentist was cool with that.

After he did the fillings he went onto the extractions. He tested to see if my upper mouth was completely numb. It was. I didn't feel a thing. I asked him not to use the epi numbing, not sure if he listened to me because I'm still numb over an hour later. Oh well.

First was the right upper wisdom. It was rotten to the core and started to feel tender and swollen. An infection beginning no doubt. It's been like that for 2 years. He put this tool into my mouth, I felt slight pressure and it was out.

Next was the tooth next to it. He done the same, reached for his grips, and pulled it out. Easy.

Next was the other side. I don't know the name of this tooth but it's near the back. It took a while to get out. It got stuck. Lots of pulling. There was a lot of pressure and head rocking but honestly, it's not bad. After 10 minutes it came out.

Last was the wisdom tooth on the left side. Again rotten to the core below the gum line. He put his special tool in my mouth and in 2 minutes it was out.

I did not feel anything! Nadda. Nothing.

I was in the chair around 45 minutes. The whole time I was mentally controlling my anxiety. On a scale of 1 to 10 my anxiety was about a 4. I started to feel dizzy at some point, wasn't sure if it was the numbing or my anxiety. I rode the storm and just got on with it.

And that was that. All done. I left feeling perfectly fine.

I had more anxiety when I left. My mom and partner decided to go shopping so I had to find them.

I'm home now, safe and sound. The numbing is wearing off. I'm biting down hard on the gauze. My mouth is still full of blood and I'm trying not to spit. Hopefully it'll calm down soon.

So yes, that's me done. After 3 years I realised that my worrying was all for nothing!

Oh and I didn't get any skipped heartbeats in the chair either! Bonus.

I am no longer scared of dentists. Thank you to everyone here. You don't know how much you helped me.

Re: 4 teeth out. 4 fillings. No sedation. 45 minutes. What was all the fuss about?

Wow. Your story is incredibly inspiring. I'm so happy for you!!

Re: 4 teeth out. 4 fillings. No sedation. 45 minutes. What was all the fuss about?

Wow. Your story is incredibly inspiring. I'm so happy for you!!

Thanks :) I've been looking forward to posting this for a long time. I hope my experience helps others in some way.

I'm almost 48 hours since the procedure and things are going well.

The first day there was some pain afterwards. It was more soreness and tenderness. It's no where near as bad as toothache. The second day I felt less pain. Most of yesterday was pain free. At night times it seems to get a bit more painful, but it's not too bad. I can sleep fine.

Woke up this morning and I'm feeling even better. There's a slight pain around the area of the tooth that was difficult to get out. He really had to tug and pull that tooth. On the pain scale it's about a 1 and most times not even noticeable.

I do salt water rinses 3 times a day.

I could take painkillers, but I don't like medications. I won't even take a parcetemol unless I really have to. I have a very high pain threshold.

The clots are still in place. I've been taking a bit too many risks with the clots. I had a few beers last night with my brother and have been smoking cigarettes. If anyone is reading ... don't do that unless you want to risk dry socket.

I think the clots are secure in place now. It looks like skin has started to grow around the top of the clot making it hard for them to dislodge.

Only problem is ... my breath stinks and I can't brush with toothpaste at the moment. I'm not actually sure when I can brush my teeth. I'll give the dentist a call to find out.

I hope his helps someone.

Hello, just passing through so a quick post, but I wanted to say well done! I've not been posting much but I've been following and I'm really really pleased for you and so glad to hear it worked out well in the end ;D

Thank you for saying all of this, I am new here and the ONLY reason I joined this loving community is because I have been dreading my Wisdom teeth removal for 2 years now and I am still about a year away. That is music to my ears to hear all of that and I am soooo happy for you!!! ???

I can't thank you enough for saying all of that especially because I was really down about it earlier today.

Thank you and congratulations!!!

-JGF

Hey go you!! Excellent news!

Are you in the UK or US?

Wow reading this is exactly how I feel with the dentist I go on the 27th and I'm scared .
I'm having a molar out that is broken to the gum . Reading this has have me some positive about it all

Yours is one of the first posts I read when I found this forum. I knew I would need a tooth out and was scared stiff.

Today I did it and I can't quite believe it!! Congratulations for what you went through. Your post helped me a lot and gave me some courage when facing my own dental fears!!

Congratulations! This is a great story and wow, how courageous to decide to go without sedation!

Thanks for the detailed description of the sensations during the extractions - for me this would be the scarriest part and I couldn't imagine how it feels.

Can you believe it. After 3 years putting of extractions I DONE IT TODAY!
I am someone with extreme anxiety. I am on medications for it. I don't leave the house much due to anxiety. So as you can imagine the dentist is a big no no.

Let me just say that the bark is worse than the bite. The worry was for nothing.

I woke up this morning slightly anxious. Not too bad though. I decided to keep thoughts positive and stop focusing on the negatives. The way I see it ... this has to be done. No option. Worrying won't solve the problem or make the situation any easier.

Mom picked me up at 10:30 and we made the way to the dentist. She was under the assumption I was having sedation. I told her I didn't want it and I felt happy enough to have it done without. I really didn't want to be groggy. I have an important meeting tonight on Skype and I need to active for it.

I was called up, and my heart started to race, but I quickly thought "Stop being silly, you'll be out of here in no time".

The dentist said "We're waiting for the main dentist to do your sedation". I replied "I don't want it. Lets just get this done". He agreed.

He numbed me up, and to be honest I didn't even notice. My mouth was wide open most of the time. The numbing is what I feared. Whilst the numbing was taking effect he done my fillings. Quick and easy. I had to hold my hand up to pause so I could swallow. The dentist was cool with that.

After he did the fillings he went onto the extractions. He tested to see if my upper mouth was completely numb. It was. I didn't feel a thing. I asked him not to use the epi numbing, not sure if he listened to me because I'm still numb over an hour later. Oh well.

First was the right upper wisdom. It was rotten to the core and started to feel tender and swollen. An infection beginning no doubt. It's been like that for 2 years. He put this tool into my mouth, I felt slight pressure and it was out.

Next was the tooth next to it. He done the same, reached for his grips, and pulled it out. Easy.

Next was the other side. I don't know the name of this tooth but it's near the back. It took a while to get out. It got stuck. Lots of pulling. There was a lot of pressure and head rocking but honestly, it's not bad. After 10 minutes it came out.

Last was the wisdom tooth on the left side. Again rotten to the core below the gum line. He put his special tool in my mouth and in 2 minutes it was out.

I did not feel anything! Nadda. Nothing.

I was in the chair around 45 minutes. The whole time I was mentally controlling my anxiety. On a scale of 1 to 10 my anxiety was about a 4. I started to feel dizzy at some point, wasn't sure if it was the numbing or my anxiety. I rode the storm and just got on with it.

And that was that. All done. I left feeling perfectly fine.

I had more anxiety when I left. My mom and partner decided to go shopping so I had to find them.

I'm home now, safe and sound. The numbing is wearing off. I'm biting down hard on the gauze. My mouth is still full of blood and I'm trying not to spit. Hopefully it'll calm down soon.

So yes, that's me done. After 3 years I realised that my worrying was all for nothing!

Oh and I didn't get any skipped heartbeats in the chair either! Bonus.

I am no longer scared of dentists. Thank you to everyone here. You don't know how much you helped me.

Im so glad for you! It's all over-well done:jump: I had 3 teeth extracted last week, wasn't worried at all cos I've had one about before. He used epi injections because he said it would work better and I was fine and very proud of myself. Went back next day to get my teeth prepped for crowns and again, not worried particularly. He insisted on using epi again and I went with it (I haven't had epi fir 16 years because of how anxious it made me feel) and I just wouldn't numb so had 3 1/2 hours trying to hold bs k a panic attack, feeling sick, shaky and faint. I really hope I get to where you are now one day. You are a real inspiration!

Congratulations! This is a great story and wow, how courageous to decide to go without sedation!

Thanks for the detailed description of the sensations during the extractions - for me this would be the scarriest part and I couldn't imagine how it feels.

I was most afraid of hearing cracking and crunching when my 3 teeth came out last week but when that did happen, it really didn't bother me at all. I was very numb and I wanted it over with so I suppose that helped. Tooth extraction is something I don't fear at all, it's really, truly it hung to worry about:)

Back