• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

4 Unit vs. 6 Unit bridge

G

GailAnne100

Hi! I had my 2 front teeth extracted and need to replace them. I do not want implants. Initially my dentist said I could do a 4 unit bridge but now he is saying that he wants to use my canines as abutments and I do not want them to file down my canines. Will any dentist make me a 4 unit bridge in this situation? I would be interested in working with someone who can be as conservative as I am about ruining perfectly good teeth. Thank you for your time.

Two small bridges would be better than one big one... using the lateral incisors alone would be tricky, depending on the health of your gums and the size of the roots on them you might well be putting too much loading on them which will lead to losing them too.

If you want super conservative, Maryland bridges off the canines might work.

Hi! I had my 2 front teeth extracted and need to replace them. I do not want implants. Initially my dentist said I could do a 4 unit bridge but now he is saying that he wants to use my canines as abutments and I do not want them to file down my canines. Will any dentist make me a 4 unit bridge in this situation? I would be interested in working with someone who can be as conservative as I am about ruining perfectly good teeth. Thank you for your time.

Hi!
I had a 6 unit bridge placed 2 years ago. It has its pros and cons and it is a very well made bridge, and is very natural looking.
I really didn't want to have my 2 natural, untouched teeth prepped either but I couldn't have my initial preference of implants as I didn't have the bone since damaging my mouth years ago. I know I could've had bone grafts but I went for the 'easier' option because my old crowns were failing and badly needed replacing and implants would've been too much for me to pay for all at once at that time.
I was never offered a Maryland bridge or any other option at all. I sometimes think that a partial would've been a better choice but what's done is done. And I do love my smile now whereas I was so unhappy with it before.

I also have a TMJ issue that has stemmed from my bridge and will have to get an invisalign placed soon to correct it, and it will be expensive. I'm not suggesting that your experience will be like mine, not at all.

I am definitely not saying you shouldn't go for a 6 unit bridge if that's what you and your dentist think is best, but I am saying you are right and wise to consider all your options before making a final decision. It is a big one.
Best of luck! ?

Back