• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

43 years old had 2 wisdom extractions scared

  • Thread starter Thread starter dana69
  • Start date Start date
D

dana69

Junior member
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
5
Location
orlando,FL
Hi I am new here I had wisdom tooth 1 and 32 extracted friday under IV sedation.. the one was a fused to the bone and very difficult to remove. the surgeon said because of my age it would take a good while to heal. here it is 2 days later and i can still hardly open my mouth and it is painful id put it at a 5 not excruciating but there. Im having trouble eating as well. I try to rinse as much as i can but am afraid of the dreaded dry socket i think my anxiety is getting the best of me. Anyone else had this done at my age> (she made me feel old) any suggestions? how long will the healing process be in an old lady like myself?:scared: thank you for reading.
 
Hi I am new here I had wisdom tooth 1 and 32 extracted friday under IV sedation.. the one was a fused to the bone and very difficult to remove. the surgeon said because of my age it would take a good while to heal. here it is 2 days later and i can still hardly open my mouth and it is painful id put it at a 5 not excruciating but there. Im having trouble eating as well. I try to rinse as much as i can but am afraid of the dreaded dry socket i think my anxiety is getting the best of me. Anyone else had this done at my age> (she made me feel old) any suggestions? how long will the healing process be in an old lady like myself?:scared: thank you for reading.
Sorry to hear about still being sore, I would phone your dentist and tell them what the issues are for you and see what they suggest. I had two wisdom teeth out in my 30's, one just two years ago, both healed fine. I am having a bottom wisdom tooth out on april 27th with sedation(this time ,the others were just with local but I panicked a lot). Try to stick to soft foods. Can I ask about the sedation, did you find any issues with it like the needle or nausea? I am worried about the iv more than getting my tooth out. I am also very worried about a dry socket but I didn't have the last two times so am trying not to stress about that. i'm glad this will be my last one as my other one never grew in at all due to no room. Stay calm and hopefully someone will have more help. Stay calm and try to do things to take your mind off of it.
 
Sorry to hear about still being sore, I would phone your dentist and tell them what the issues are for you and see what they suggest. I had two wisdom teeth out in my 30's, one just two years ago, both healed fine. I am having a bottom wisdom tooth out on april 27th with sedation(this time ,the others were just with local but I panicked a lot). Try to stick to soft foods. Can I ask about the sedation, did you find any issues with it like the needle or nausea? I am worried about the iv more than getting my tooth out. I am also very worried about a dry socket but I didn't have the last two times so am trying not to stress about that. i'm glad this will be my last one as my other one never grew in at all due to no room. Stay calm and hopefully someone will have more help. Stay calm and try to do things to take your mind off of it.

Hi there i had absolutely no issues with the IV sedation at all no nausea or problems with the needles. Just remember not to eat or drink for at least 8 hours before. You will go to sleep and wake up and it will be done.. You will be groggy afterwards. I called the dentist this morning and was told that 72 hours after is the worst and then it starts to get better. They may put dis-solvable stitches in like they did with me which can help prevent dry socket. Follow the instructions to the letter and you should be ok. Yes i panicked to and i kind of still am everything makes me wonder is this normal... Dont worry about the sedation thats the easy part in my opinion. the only prick you will feel is the IV going in then its off to lala land. I will keep you updated on how i am doing, i did take another day off work....thank you for responding
 
thank you for the information, my dentist said no food for 6 hours and no drink for 3 hours but no sure what type of sedation he is using, i will try to go 8 hours but I suffer from sinus congestion and find I need to drink more often as I get a dry throat and then cough, will try to just chew gum or rinse out my mouth. I don't have anymore appt.s until the actual day but told me to come in 15 mins. early to go over the instructions and will ask afew questions,too, before the give me the needle. I know the first 3 days will be the worst but will try to be patient. How are you feeling now? I hope it has improved?
 
thank you for the information, my dentist said no food for 6 hours and no drink for 3 hours but no sure what type of sedation he is using, i will try to go 8 hours but I suffer from sinus congestion and find I need to drink more often as I get a dry throat and then cough, will try to just chew gum or rinse out my mouth. I don't have anymore appt.s until the actual day but told me to come in 15 mins. early to go over the instructions and will ask afew questions,too, before the give me the needle. I know the first 3 days will be the worst but will try to be patient. How are you feeling now? I hope it has improved?

i feel better tonight actually ate some toast. My dentist said the 3rd day is the worst then its better from there. If your having it done in the dentist office its probably just the IV sedation you wont be knocked out completely but you wont feel or remember a thing. When you wake up you'll be like when are you starting. to be honest i drank water about 2 hours before and i was fine just no bacon and eggs :grin:. it is scary but i survived it and i am doing well and i was petrified i almost chickened out. Just remember if you smoke don't smoke for at least 2 days after, don't drink from a straw and don't rinse your mouth you can slightly rinse and let it dribble out...if you get stitches like i did don't be alarmed if they move or come out its ok. Let me know how you do and if you have any questions/concerns after you have it done. You will do fine just plan on kind of chilling and resting the first 2 days or so after...
 
i feel better tonight actually ate some toast. My dentist said the 3rd day is the worst then its better from there. If your having it done in the dentist office its probably just the IV sedation you wont be knocked out completely but you wont feel or remember a thing. When you wake up you'll be like when are you starting. to be honest i drank water about 2 hours before and i was fine just no bacon and eggs :grin:. it is scary but i survived it and i am doing well and i was petrified i almost chickened out. Just remember if you smoke don't smoke for at least 2 days after, don't drink from a straw and don't rinse your mouth you can slightly rinse and let it dribble out...if you get stitches like i did don't be alarmed if they move or come out its ok. Let me know how you do and if you have any questions/concerns after you have it done. You will do fine just plan on kind of chilling and resting the first 2 days or so after...
glad to hear you can start to eat abit. I don't smoke or use straws and remember from last time about not spitting out water. I am getting it at a dentist office but he only does wisdom tooth extractions and has good reviews, he is very nice and seems like a very calm person who is experienced so not worried about something terrible going wrong during the procedure. I am trying to stay calm and do breathing exercises and need to get it over and done with so no backing out of it for me.
 
Back
Top