• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

5 years delaying 6 cavities..and now?

caitdgaf

caitdgaf

Well hello, first off. Im new round here. Ive read so many wonderful and inspiring stories. I wish I had this site before!

Ok. So I am now 19 years old. At 14, I became pregnant. (Story faaar to long to type haha) My teeth systematically began to go downhill. When I was roughly 6 months along I had to have an abcessed tooth extracted. I went to a dental clinic in Rochester,NY. Most of the "dentists" were dental students. I would soon find what damage that would cause. I was shot 6 times with novacaine and continuously told them I was not numb. They pulled the tooth anyway. HORRIFIC pain. Not just the normal pressure. After I bled for about 10 minutes they realized a chunk of my tooth had broken off in the gum. So, they drilled around in my gum for nearly 30 minutes. I went 5 years after that being horribly terrified of ever seeing the dentist again.

From age 16 on I went through bouts of teeth problems involving emergency room visits, antibiotics, pain killers, every home remedy known to man.. Anything to stay away from the dentist. I knew it was inevitable, but I couldnt force myself to go. I now have 6 broken teeth in the back, 2 to the gumline. My front teeth are nearly perfect aside from some weakening round the tops. (that fun white area that is decay manifesting itself)

A week ago I had the worst abccess thus far. It is right under the joint in my jaw bone, and two or three inches across under my lower jaw bone, under two bad teeth. I finally made an appointment at a family health center which had a dental unit. Big mistake. I had a chinese female doctor who I could hardly understand. She was nice, but very judgemental. I got the dreaded lecture about letting my teeth get this bad. I promptly told her I wanted sedation dentistry, and that I needed to be reffered out. Well, after that I went home and immediately began my search. AND WHAT A FIND!!

I found a dentist in nearby Canandaigua. The phone conversation with the receptionist was great and I scheduled an appointment, which was yesterday. I walk in out of 8 degree weather to be totally amazed. The lobby looks like a mediteranian resturant. low hanging lights, wood everywhere, huge oversized chairs, espresso machine?! I was home, haha. I filled out some paperwork and was led through the amazing office by a very sweet dental hygenist. She gave me a tour and led me to my room. and again.. WOW! A plasma tv sitting directly above your face in the chair, cloud pictures over the flourescent lights..This place is amazing. She took new xrays and looked deeply concerned for me. We talked about how she lived in an adjacent town to myself, our kids, (hers 6, mine 4). Then in came the doctor. First off..GOURGEOUS! That doesnt hurt haha. He was so kind. He told me I would need 6 molar extractions. We talked and I decided we would discuss later treatment once I had a clean slate and the bad teeth were gone. I would also have oral sedation which he thoroughly discussed. I was so relieved. I wouldnt remember or feel the extractions!!!

Well..after he left..in came the receptionist. She was also extremely sweet. She showed me my bill after insurance. 100 per extraction, 275 for sedation. Jaw drop. 875 dollars!?! I began to cry, and so did she, and my mother. But hey, at least my teeth decided to finally crap out at tax time. Haha. So I e-filed yesterday, get my return in 8 days..and then I go.

I am just so proud I have finally done this. And I can save my front teeth. :hug2: so hug and victory dance for myself. If money wasnt an issue I would have been pushing to be in as we speak. I am so relaxed about this now and glad I found the most amazing dentist/team I have EVER seen. Ill keep posting as this journey progresses.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

I think you like most of us have discovered that when you have a dentist you trust, most of the fears disappear.

Very well done from me too :jump::party:

Congrats!!!:cheers:
I know what you mean about the cost, my total bill for 9 extractions and IV sedation was close to $4,000!
I recognize that "clean slate" phrase!! I think my dentist used that same exact phrase with me!! LOL!!
Good luck to you!!
Best Wishes and a :XXLhug:,
Jen

UPDATE!

feb 12..thats the day. oh goodness. the rule books for oral sedation are scary haha. you cant be left alone with small children and such..no driving. you have to have someone close your mouth because you will be so out of it? what in the world..
anyway. i have valium im supposed to take the night before, and a triazolam an hour before, another in the office.

oh laaawd.:confused:

I have taken my wife home three or four times after she was sedated. If anything, she felt great and dreamy. She has never had any problems from sedation.

There is really nothing to be scared of when it comes to sedation. But when or if it is me, I will be no different than you. ;D

Others here that have experienced sedation say the same as I do.

ahhhhh! oh laaawd. tomorrow is the day. 8:10 am. goodness. i just took some ativan to head to sleepy land. ill post whenever im in good form. thank you for all your comments and support! :-*

Good luck tomorrow hun! The place you're going now seems very trustworthy and I'm sure you'll be in good hands. IV sedation is the best. I had it for when I got impacted wisdom teeth out and don't remember anything as soon as they put the IV in.

Good luck for tomorrow morning. I'm sure you will do fine. You will have those bad teeth out and you will feel so much better!
I will be thinking of you.
:hug2:,
Jen

well, out they are. and aside from being so swollen and bruised that i look like quagmire from family guy after a drunken fistfight, im doing okay. no dry sockets or anything though i have been smoking since right after the appt.​
  • toms of maine natural mouthwash is a blessing! look for it if your planning on getting any work done. not only is it yummy lemon lime, but it doesnt sting and it has no alcohol in it. its loaded with witch hazel and aloe juice which reaaally soothes. those of us who have given birth know the magic of witch hazel pads. oh and its organic, but if your a smoker, you should never preach about how great organic stuff is for you when your killing everything else with toxins, haha.​
i dont remember all of it, but most of it. i remember not being able to talk after 11 shots of novocaine. that was fun. and i remember them breaking my worst tooth to remove it. and i got to keep my teeth! haha, which is generally a no-no, but i really wanted them for some strange reason. boy adult teeth are some gross looking suckers. anywhoo, again thank you all for the support. im gonna go nosh on some pureed lentil soup and engulf myself in some movies.:thumbsup:

Congrats!!:cheers:. Don't you feel like a new person? I know I did, not only because those bad teeth (that were causing me pain and sleepless nights for 20+ years) were out, but also because I mustered up the courage (BIG thanks to the people on this forum!) to get it done!! You'll appreciate it more once you are fully recovered and feeling and looking better.
Great job!!:thumbsup:
Hope your recovery continues to go well,
:hug2:,
Jen

Back