• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

6 days later still in pain. I don't think this is normal.

T

TheGeek

I'm on my 6th day after my extractions. I thought by now things would start to be getting better but I'm still in pain around the extraction sites.

I'm almost certain I have dry socket. Yesterday the sockets were inflamed. They're a bit inflamed this morning but not as a bad.

As soon as I eat anything it gets really painful around the one socket. It's painful right now. Sort of feels like someone has punched me in the side of the face.

It hurts when I eat, and hurts when I do my salt water rinses. My breath stinks, it's vile! I've spoken to my sister in law who has had lots of teeth removed and she said she remembers having bad breath for a few weeks afterwards.

I've got an appointment next Friday, but if the pain is still here tomorrow I'm going to try and get them to bring it forward.

I've got no fever or anything like that. I feel well, except low on energy due to not being able to consume the calories I need.

Nobody tells you how long it's going to take to feel better. Anyone have any advice?

Hey Geek -

Call your dentist, if you can (do they have emergency cover at weekends?)

The fact one socket in particular is painful makes me think there might be a problem, and if it is a dry socket then it would be very quick and easy for them to treat it and get you out of pain.

Hey Geek -

Call your dentist, if you can (do they have emergency cover at weekends?)

The fact one socket in particular is painful makes me think there might be a problem, and if it is a dry socket then it would be very quick and easy for them to treat it and get you out of pain.

Hey Tink,

There's no weekend emergencies. I did try to call but they're closed. They said to call 111 (like 999, but for non emergencies). I called 111 and they was no help at all. Just told me to keep doing my rinses and take pain meds if needed. The pain isn't that bad to require pain meds. Either that or I have a high pain threshold.

Right now it's about a 2. It feels itchy. Hard to explain. It's like that feeling to get when a wound is healing and you just want to scratch it.

I'm going to visit my local dentist tomorrow to have them check on it. I'm probably blowing it out of the water, my gf has been in worse pain following her extractions over a week ago and the dentist did absolutely nothing. They actually misdiagnosed an infection. When she visited the dentist that did her extractions a few days later they told her she had dry socket and the healing is going well.

Tonight I'm eating a curry made with stringy chicken. I managed to eat sausage ok today so the curry shouldn't be an issue (no spice).

I can't wait for some yummy food ha ha!

Many thanks for the reply.

Forgot to add, but the gums around the extractions feel wrinkly. I know that sounds crazy ha ha, but it's a bit like when you get out the bath and you feel your fingers are wrinkled ... except it's on the gum. But only around the extractions.

Oh, and this is the first time I've ate a sandwich in nearly a week. This tastes soooooooo good.

Last edited:
Right now it's about a 2. It feels itchy. Hard to explain. It's like that feeling to get when a wound is healing and you just want to scratch it.

OK, that's probably good! And if the pain is not too bad then it's less likely to be a dry socket.

Glad you're managing to eat some proper food now - enjoy! ;D

Back