J
Jessica moon
Junior member
- Joined
- Apr 16, 2026
- Messages
- 3
- Location
- Gosford Australia
Hi, my 6 year old daughter has some deep cavities in her top and bottom molars 4 in total. With adjacent teeth starting to get smaller cavities. She is extremely anxious in general and has massive dental phobia. The cavities have gotten worse since we first found out when she was four because I was also so terrified of the thought of her having to go under GA for treatment as I knew she would not be capable to sit in the chair at that point. We eat well, no sweets, and brush but dentist thinks this happened due to snacking and extended breastfeeding and night feeding (til 4 years) she also had reflux as a toddler.
I researched other treatment options that are less invasive and we ended up getting her to sit in the dental chair twice to get SDF treatment (silver flouride) to arrest thr decay and buy us some time. But time is ticking on and the cavities are reasonably close to the nerves. It has taken us various attempts to get xrays as well, we finally got the top two done and now need the bottoms.
The plan was to get them capped with stainless steel crowns (hall technique) but recently when we tried to go to get the bottom xrays and the bands before the caps were placed she was way too anxious as she just bumped her head in the park before coming in and was out of sorts so couldn't face doing it.
Then somehow now we are looking at the possibilty of GA treatment and having either partial pulp treatment and caps or extractions. I'm thinking the dentist after seeing her non compliance is worried we are running out of time since the cavities that we have viewed are close to the nerve but not touching. She is worried that maybe some of the bacteria has got across into the pulp and may get worse once sealed in but she said there is no way of really knowing. However she is asymptomatic at present.
I'm so anxious about this whole situation I can't even sleep. I would be so relieved if we didn't have to do GA and get the caps done in the chair and treat surrounding cavities with SDF as they are only small. But my daughter is so anxious. Any advice on how to help her with her anxiety in a timely manner would be so so much appreciated. Thank you so much.
I researched other treatment options that are less invasive and we ended up getting her to sit in the dental chair twice to get SDF treatment (silver flouride) to arrest thr decay and buy us some time. But time is ticking on and the cavities are reasonably close to the nerves. It has taken us various attempts to get xrays as well, we finally got the top two done and now need the bottoms.
The plan was to get them capped with stainless steel crowns (hall technique) but recently when we tried to go to get the bottom xrays and the bands before the caps were placed she was way too anxious as she just bumped her head in the park before coming in and was out of sorts so couldn't face doing it.
Then somehow now we are looking at the possibilty of GA treatment and having either partial pulp treatment and caps or extractions. I'm thinking the dentist after seeing her non compliance is worried we are running out of time since the cavities that we have viewed are close to the nerve but not touching. She is worried that maybe some of the bacteria has got across into the pulp and may get worse once sealed in but she said there is no way of really knowing. However she is asymptomatic at present.
I'm so anxious about this whole situation I can't even sleep. I would be so relieved if we didn't have to do GA and get the caps done in the chair and treat surrounding cavities with SDF as they are only small. But my daughter is so anxious. Any advice on how to help her with her anxiety in a timely manner would be so so much appreciated. Thank you so much.
Last edited by a moderator: