• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

67, but first time I've shared endless, endless chronic obsession with anyoine

L

luzerne2112

67, but first time I've shared endless, endless chronic obsession with anyoine

Hi all. Brand new here so please forgive me if I go over covered ground.
I'm 67 and been wearing partial dentures for 40 years. For some reason, about a year ago, I was standing in the bathroom and thought "what if I started worrying about how my dentures fit."
That was all I needed to get started and now, a year later, it's ALL I can think about.
And it's not bad, but I do have little twinges of pain in one spot, perhaps 10 times a day for not even a second.
I go to the U. of Penn and they try things but I think my veteran mouth is just gone enough to do this.
But my problem is I dread the twinges, and then when there are no twinges, I anticipate the twinges and get more nervous and then every twinge-wait cycle cranks me up more and more.
Then when I take the partials out at night, I immediately start worrying about how it's going to be tomorrow when I put them in.
And, for some reason, I just will not take the lower out, where the twinges are because I feel, like I do about this whole thing, that I am weak, weak, weak and if I were just normal I wouldn't obsess over this.
So ok, my first spilling the beans of my life wasn't so bad. Anything anybody can say or suggest would be like sweet water to a parched man. Thanks so much.

Re: 67, but first time I've shared endless, endless chronic obsession with anyoine

Welcome! Congratulations for being open about what you are going through - it seems quite dreadful. Have you spoken with your dentist about these twinges? I have almost constant pain somewhere in my mouth but I am feeling positive that now that I am being treated together we'll be able to rid me of it. I have noticed that the more I think about it the more I feel it. My husband, particularly this past week since it has been so rough, is very good at distracting me. I'm sorry I'm not more help. Please keep posting though - I've found it very helpful.

Re: 67, but first time I've shared endless, endless chronic obsession with anyoine

I have had a similar mind thing going on, I choked while eating a year or more ago, and from then on I couldn't swallow properly, I just thought about it CONSTANTLY... I lost weight, I just couldn't eat unless someone was in the room with me (my husband)... it was horrible.
I just hope that mentioning it again won't bring it back to me! YIKES...

I don't know how I got past it, I wish I could offer some advise.

I would suggest going to a doctor and exploring the possibility of an anxiety disorder.

Back