• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

7 Days to my first appointment

  • Thread starter Thread starter casmic
  • Start date Start date
C

casmic

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
52
The day is approaching for my first appointment for 40 years ...although it is 7 days to go the anxiety is starting to creep in,am trying to think of other things to be positive ...Part of me feels elated that I have actually taken the first step then the doubt ..suppose this is the norm when we move out of a comfort zone.After reading the many posts on this forum it does feel me with warmth that we are never really alone with our fears ..:scared:
 
:welcome:

Your feelings sound very familiar! You have taken an enormous step towards getting your life back on track.
I was where you are now back in April. I was so buoyed up by the fact that I was on the road to banishing the years of pain and shame and secrecy. I was however, almost paralysed with fear by the day before my appointment. The waiting is the worst. Try not to keep imagining what might (and probably won't) happen.

On the actual morning, I got through the time by just concentrating very hard on each step I took towards going. Soak in the bath, find clothes etc. It's almost a relief when it's actually time to go! The waiting is over!

I wish you much peace and calm to wrap yourself in. I hope you have someone to go with you to the surgery.
Keep posting.

toucan
 
Hi casmic!

Congratulations on making the huge step of scheduling an appointment! :welldone: Even though you are probably terrified of the next step, you should be very proud of yourself for picking up the phone and making the appointment. Sometimes I think just getting the ball rolling is the hardest part.

There's not much any of us can say to take away the anxiety, other than to assure you that the first visit should just involve the dentist having a look around your mouth visually, and probably some x-rays. And, your dentist will likely be very professional and compassionate, and won't lecture or belittle you. On my first visit back, I was certain that the dentist would shriek in horror at the state of my teeth, or at the very least recoil in disgust before composing herself. Instead she was very gentle and kind and acted like she sees broken, decaying teeth all the time. (Actually, most dentists do...) I almost burst into tears about how comforting and kind everyone was.

Your anxiety is perfectly normal, at least among fellow phobics. Unfortunately, you're going to have to work up the courage to get past the anxiety and get into the chair, but once you get there you'll find that the worrying was the worst part. Don't feel ashamed for being afraid when others seem to have such an easy time of going to the dentist. Dental phobia is a real thing and the response from your body is just as real as for any other "real" threat. It doesn't make you a wimp or a baby, it just means you have to fight extra hard against a runaway mind. We're all there with you! For us, no visit to the dentist (sometimes no mention of a dentist) is small enough to count as "not a big deal."

I'll second toucan's suggestion:
On the actual morning, I got through the time by just concentrating very hard on each step I took towards going. Soak in the bath, find clothes etc. It's almost a relief when it's actually time to go! The waiting is over!
On my "big day", I had to talk myself through each tiny step-- lace up your left shoe, now lace up your right shoe, now stand up... but it kept my mind off You Know What, and kept me from turning tail at the last minute.

Hang in there! A week from now you'll be strutting out of the dentist's office, proud of yourself for surviving and excited to stop all the worrying. In the meantime, feel free to spew, vent, worry, ask questions, describe fears, or whatever here on the forum, and we'll try to keep your worries at bay.

Congrats again, and good luck!
 
2 Days to go now .....Am blocking it out and thinking of other things,but I am sure this time tomorrow I wont be able to say the same.My partner is a wonderful person but when it comes to fears and anxieties he is not the best person to talk too...I haven't told him yet but will after the first appointment...One thought which keeps on creeping in is although the remaining teeth I have which are beyond repair will surely be taken away...I had them for 60years they'll be gone !!!I know that once the initial embarrassment has subsided I can start taking the next step...Just hope my positive outlook which I have today carries fourth till Wednesday morning...
 
Hope everything goes well for you. Do they know about your fear? Hopefully they will calm you and take good care of you.
 
Its nearly tomorrow and my first appointment :redface:.....I still feel positive but the niggles of finding an excuse for not going are dangling on the edge of my thoughts.My appointment is for 9.30 which I believe is a good time so not much of a window to let the anxiety build.After that will wait and see ..
 
Hi there

just really wanted to say please go...it'll be worth it. The worry is sooo much worse than the actual event. You're right after the initial embarrassment you'll be full steam ahead. I hadn't been to the dentist for over twenty years and things were no near as bad as I imagined. I thought I'd need full extractions but I was lucky and really just needed a deep cleaning, some fillings and a few extractions of back teeth that had broken and I knew were beyond saving. I've already started and the treatment so far has really been a breeze! I actually can't believe I avoided it for so long and made myself so stressed about it when it's been so easy.

I will be thinking of you and hope it goes well, take care
 
Its nearly tomorrow and my first appointment :redface:.....I still feel positive but the niggles of finding an excuse for not going are dangling on the edge of my thoughts.My appointment is for 9.30 which I believe is a good time so not much of a window to let the anxiety build.After that will wait and see ..

Good luck, casmic! As most everyone around here will tell you, the anticipatory anxiety is horrible and way worse than the actual procedure.

Keep the faith!

BH:hug:
 
For me the anticipation has been worse than anything that has happened. Get yourself to the office n go from there. I gave myself permission to leave at any point after that. But last 3 appointments once I got there I had a little bit if courage and let's get this over with attitude and was able to do the procedures. Hang in there!!! Wishing you luck!!!
 
Good luck today, casmic! :hug4::hug4::hug4:

Before you know it you'll be back home and proud of yourself for taking the first step.

Be sure to tell us how it went, and collect lots of high fives for your accomplishment!
 
Yes before I knew it I was back home again.....a few tears which came from the relief that I had began my journey.Complete removal of all remaining teeth which I expected.I did find it difficult to talk to the Dentist because mouth was dry and being tongue tied... She was very calming and her assistant was a angel...So a big pat on the back for me.Now the waiting for the next appointment for the work to begin....
 
Back
Top