• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A couple of questions about electric toothbrushes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ilikecats
  • Start date Start date
I

Ilikecats

Junior member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
6
Hi

I have just started using an electric toothbrush as my dentist mentioned that this would be better for receding gums. I have a couple of loose teeth due to grinding and am currently being very careful to allow these to heal. Can someone please answer the following questions?

1. Can the vibrations of my electric toothbrush make my loose teeth worse?
2. Do I actually brush over the gum that is receding? I don't want to make it worse but I do want to keep this area clean.

Thanks in advance. My dentist is currently overseas and I was worried I may be doing my teeth more harm.
 
1. No it won't cause any harm
2. You should make sure that you're cleaning the gum/tooth join as carefully as you can

Braun OralB brushes are about the best, they've got good research to backup their claims. Apparently you can get good deals on them on eBay.
 
Thanks Gordon. I am brushing over the gum and have ordered some sensitive heads over the internet. It is so hard to find soft/sensitive in the chemists here (Australia). It's really annoying since dentists advise that you should be brushing gently.
 
Back
Top