• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A poor prognosis for UL7

  • Thread starter Thread starter HMB
  • Start date Start date
H

HMB

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2024
Messages
24
Location
Northants
I have recently changed my dentist. I had a really bad experience with a NHS provider, but the only alternative was a private dentist. I am terrified of the dentist, but even more terrified of losing my teeth. Unfortunately, the first thing the new dentist recommended was the removal of the ul8 (wisdom tooth). I was then advised that the Ul7 that the NHS dentist filled last year has the filling close to the pulp and has bone loss that indicates a poor prognosis, i.e. I might lose that one as well. This is seriously freaking me out and I am just imagining that, with every tooth that is taken out, it will affect the next one in line and that will have to go as well. Does anyone know if there is any chance of the Ul7 lasting? I'm 60 this year and the ul8 was my first ever extraction!
 
I am just imagining that, with every tooth that is taken out, it will affect the next one in line and that will have to go as well.
Yes, you're imagining it. Losing one tooth doesn't materially affect the prognosis of the one next to it.
Does anyone know if there is any chance of the Ul7 lasting?
Not without looking, sorry.
 
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for responding to my question and the really kind reassurance re my concerns about progressive tooth loss.

I will ask my dentist why there is 'poor prognosis' on the Ul7, and if he can give me an indication for its longevity.
 
I will ask my dentist why there is 'poor prognosis' on the Ul7, and if he can give me an indication for its longevity.
That'd be best. He's in the best position to do that. Feel free to ask on here if you need anything clarified though.
 
Thank you Gordon... that is really kind of you.

I just hope I'm making the right decision with RCT rather than choosing extraction. I've read so many stories of RCT going wrong, and the experience of the past year doesn't fill me a with a great deal of confidence that any decision I make will be the right one
 
Hi @HMB you could always get a second opinion from an endodontist (root canal specialist) re. the likelihood of a successful root canal treatment?
 
Hi @HMB you could always get a second opinion from an endodontist (root canal specialist) re. the likelihood of a successful root canal treatment?
I think the dentist who is currently treating me has some experience, although I guess he's not a specialist, so that is a good suggestion. Thank you
 
Back
Top