• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess question please answer.....thanks in advance

A

Always.Anxious

Junior member
Joined
Aug 10, 2016
Messages
10
Last Friday I went to my dentist after 3 days of agony and slight swelling and after xray a I was diagnosed with ano abscess,the dentist prescribed 500mg amoxicillin 3 times a day for 5 days. I took my last antibiotic yesterday, the pain intensified massively yesterday and my jaw began to swell. It's now the size of a plum,it's red and warm to touch. My abscess burst this morning and I'm not in that much pain anymore but it slightly filled again and popped again about 10 mins ago. I went to the emergency dentist as the swelling concerned me,she prescribed 500mg amoxicillin x3 a day for 5 days and metronidazole 400mg x3 a day for 5 days and told me just to keep an eye on it but she wasn't overly concerned. I suffer with health anxiety and I'm panicking about the redness and swelling. The redness concerns me the most and thanks to good old Google I'm now near in tears. Is the redness anything to be worried about? Is it a good sign that my abscess is draining? I'm booked in to have the tooth extracted in 10days (I'm quite proud of myself as I'm terrified of dentists) I'm scared that it's gonna spread to my throat please can someone ease myour fears. Thanks in advance xx
 
Hi :welcome:to the forum.

It is very good that the abscess is draining, not very pleasant I know but it is good. The antibiotics will calm things down so that the dentist can get you numb to extract the tooth.

The infection will not spread to anywhere else. Please don't google anymore, the redness is part of the infection and because you are swollen. Nothing will happen to you.

I had an abscess for nearly two years and mine didn't spread anywhere else, it was very painful when it filled up and eased when it drained so that is a good thing.

You will be okay until you see the dentist, you can ring and see if they could fit you in any sooner but if you can't get in before it will be okay. :grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:
 
Hi :welcome:to the forum.

It is very good that the abscess is draining, not very pleasant I know but it is good. The antibiotics will calm things down so that the dentist can get you numb to extract the tooth.

The infection will not spread to anywhere else. Please don't google anymore, the redness is part of the infection and because you are swollen. Nothing will happen to you.

I had an abscess for nearly two years and mine didn't spread anywhere else, it was very painful when it filled up and eased when it drained so that is a good thing.

You will be okay until you see the dentist, you can ring and see if they could fit you in any sooner but if you can't get in before it will be okay. :grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:


Thank you so much for answering you have eased my mind a little. I know I need to stop googling,I'm my own worst enemy. Xxx
 
Google is good for a lot of things but for medical things it is a total nightmare :eek:

If the swelling gets worse then go and see someone. The antibiotics should make sure it carries on draining which is really good.

You are not alone we are here so if you just need support or a listening ear feel free. We understand how afraid you are feeling and having the abscess will be making you feel ill.

I wish you well soon :ill: let us know how you get on :hug5::butterfly:
 
Google is good for a lot of things but for medical things it is a total nightmare :eek:

If the swelling gets worse then go and see someone. The antibiotics should make sure it carries on draining which is really good.

You are not alone we are here so if you just need support or a listening ear feel free. We understand how afraid you are feeling and having the abscess will be making you feel ill.

I wish you well soon :ill: let us know how you get on :hug5::butterfly:

Morning :) well I've woken up this morning and the swelling has gone down a little and the redness isn't as dark :) tablets are making me feel a little nauseous but I can deal with that. Hopefully I will be pain and swelling free in a few days.

Have a lovely day :) xx
 
Well things are going in the right direction now.

To help with your stomach take something dairy when you take the antibiotics, the pro-biotic little drinks are very good but it can be milk, a small bit of cheese, yogurt or any other thing you can think of. :butterfly:
 
Well things are going in the right direction now.

To help with your stomach take something dairy when you take the antibiotics, the pro-biotic little drinks are very good but it can be milk, a small bit of cheese, yogurt or any other thing you can think of. :butterfly:


I thought I would give a quick update. The swelling has almost completely gone :) my jaw and cheek have a bruised feeling but nothing unmanageable. I took your advice and had a glass of milk to take the metronidazole and I'm happy to say the nausea isn't so bad :) thank you so much x
 
Back
Top