starryblu
Member
- Joined
- May 19, 2010
- Messages
- 46
- Location
- north carolina
Hello and thank you for your help. I am interested to know if IV sedation is an effective treatment for someone that is extremely fearful of dental work. My biggest problem is that I am fearful of sedation as well. I am a 55 year old woman who has avoided dental work for many years, due to my phobia. I have found a dentist that does sedation dentistry, but I'm still not comfortable about having the work done. The plan is to do the upper part of my mouth first, and then hopefully the lower part next year. (a money issue) I will have several teeth pulled, the rest crowned, and a partial made. I want this work done very badly, my teeth look awful! I picked this particular dentist because he does cerec crowns. I have not been able to tolerate impressions for quite some time, and have been avoiding general dental work. I have actually gotten pretty good at having fillings, root canals, etc. but anything involving impressions I cannot do.
So here is what I'm wondering. Is it common for people to have a problem with being sedated? I have had a couple of procedures that I've woken up as they were being done. One was a c-section, the other an endoscopy. I had tried talking to someone about the fact that I had woken up before, when I had the endoscopy. The nurse I spoke with was very casual, and said I would wake up, and never know anything had happened to me. Well, that simply wasn't true. I woke up in the middle of the procedure, choking, with a tube down my throat, and people yelling at me to swallow. (sorry if that was more information than you needed!) Now I am very fearful of anything involving sedation. The dentist I'm seeing has even talked about bringing in an anesthesiologist, to do general anesthesia, as we have discussed my problems with sedation and he is concerned. I worry about the safety of general anesthesia, he said he has only had one other patient that has required it. It is very upsetting to have a problem with so many fears, when I want the work done so badly. It is a horrible feeling though, to wake up during a procedure, when you have been assured (and feel relieved!) that you will sleep through something that is so scary for you. I'm also wondering if there are any measures that can be taken to help the IV sedation work more effectively.
I hope I am not asking questions that are outside the boundaries of what you are able to help me with, and I apologize if I am. I have an appointment tomorrow, and I'm sure the dentist will be wanting to schedule the work requiring the sedation. I was asking in the hopes that you could give me some advice to help set my mind at rest.
Thank you so much for your time.
So here is what I'm wondering. Is it common for people to have a problem with being sedated? I have had a couple of procedures that I've woken up as they were being done. One was a c-section, the other an endoscopy. I had tried talking to someone about the fact that I had woken up before, when I had the endoscopy. The nurse I spoke with was very casual, and said I would wake up, and never know anything had happened to me. Well, that simply wasn't true. I woke up in the middle of the procedure, choking, with a tube down my throat, and people yelling at me to swallow. (sorry if that was more information than you needed!) Now I am very fearful of anything involving sedation. The dentist I'm seeing has even talked about bringing in an anesthesiologist, to do general anesthesia, as we have discussed my problems with sedation and he is concerned. I worry about the safety of general anesthesia, he said he has only had one other patient that has required it. It is very upsetting to have a problem with so many fears, when I want the work done so badly. It is a horrible feeling though, to wake up during a procedure, when you have been assured (and feel relieved!) that you will sleep through something that is so scary for you. I'm also wondering if there are any measures that can be taken to help the IV sedation work more effectively.
I hope I am not asking questions that are outside the boundaries of what you are able to help me with, and I apologize if I am. I have an appointment tomorrow, and I'm sure the dentist will be wanting to schedule the work requiring the sedation. I was asking in the hopes that you could give me some advice to help set my mind at rest.
Thank you so much for your time.


