• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advice - vague symptoms / unhelpful dentist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter catinabox
  • Start date Start date
C

catinabox

Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2023
Messages
30
Location
United Kingdom
Hey,

I have severe health anxiety and in the past you've all been very helpful here before so I figured I would ask for some advice regarding some tooth problems I've been having. It's really difficult for me to narrow down the issue and my dentist hasn't been much help, so I hope I can explain my problem well! About two months ago (end of July 2026), I had a large filling replaced at a back molar. I also had a filling on the bottom row. Since then I had a small chip come off from the top molar (confirmed by dentist) who said it was minor and didn't feel it necessary to do anything. The thing is on and off for quite some time now I've been having reccuring tenderness/pain around the area, including the gums. I also have quite bad sensitivity but I've had this a long time. I don't THINK it hurts that much when biting down, but then again I do get times when it does feel like something is flaring up. But again, could be gum related.

On the 4th Sept a few weeks ago, the dentist decided he'd prescribe a flouride toothpaste because of the sensitivity and the chip but I got a bit anxious about using it after a week because a) I struggle to brush my teeth with the thought of not swallowing it by accident (due to the warning), and b) my top gum was getting very sore after use. The gum soreness has calmed down slightly but I still have been experiencing on and off throbbing soreness and I'm not sure if it's the filling, the gums or the tooth itself underneath. I've been using sensodyne anyway, I don't know if it helps or not tbh, and I know I'm bad at brushing my teeth extremely well as I struggle due to dyspraxia and various reasons.
I don't recall if he took an x-ray last time I saw him since doing the filling, I know it's possible that it might not have settled down despite the filling and he said it was a large filling so if it doesn't settle I might have to consider a root canal. but when I went for the visit on the 4th Sept he also said it's unlikely the NHS would accept a referral for a root canal for this (he was looking at an x-ray, but not sure if it was from before the filling or after).

I booked a follow up appointment for this week Thursday but I'm second-guessing going to it as I don't wanna be charged for them to look at it and do nothing again.
Should I try the flouride toothpaste again? or should I go back to my dentist anyway? Should I push for the filling chip to be fixed?? Would he even be able to do anything?? I don't wanna have another x-ray if I can avoid it but I'm scared of the prospect of an abscess (especially due to severe health anxiety).

I know the dentist is the best person to ask but having gone to see him just around 2 weeks ago and with the dentist being rather vague on what might be the cause of this, I thought I'd get another opinion here so I can figure out if I should go to this appointment (especially since I don't really wanna be charged again for no treatment).

Hope this makes sense and please feel free to ask if something I've said is confusing!

Thanks!!
 
Back
Top