• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

advice wanted

Itsliz

Itsliz

Hi everyone
I know I shouldn’t be ashamed to say this but I really am I’m petrified of the dentist I had a routine check up yesterday (which is a huge achievement in itself) it Turns out I need a filling and an extraction I’m really not to scared about the extraction( well I am but the filling scares me more) as the tooth Is dead anyway but the filling scares me so much as I had a super bad experience with a dentist not numbing me correctly then having to have it re done by my current dentist because it hadn’t been done correctly
Any advice on how to make it go easier would be very helpful

HI Liz,

So how did your appointment go yesterday as far as the dentist and staff? Did you feel comfortable with them? did they listen and were they kind to you? Certainly that was a huge first step.. like you said you made it that far even though you were petrified and scared you stepped out and did it. And I"ve had awful experiences as a teen with fillings and no anesthetic. But now.. with the great anesthetic skills and training and just sensitivity to anxious patients. Its a lot better and you can go through a filling without feeling a thing. Take it from someone who's got a whole mouth full of dental work :). I would ask them to make sure to give you enough anesthetic and also let them know of your past experiences with harder fillings if you haven't already then they will be extra cautious.

The staff are fantastic with me and as far as being comfortable with he staff I am as much as I can be

I can’t think of any advice, but I do send encouragement.

You’re going to make it.

I like your chances.

Keep us posted.

So glad to hear the staff are great and you are comfortable there.. This is huge and will help alot to tone down the anxiety. I know it does with me.

Hi everyone
I know I shouldn’t be ashamed to say this but I really am I’m petrified of the dentist I had a routine check up yesterday (which is a huge achievement in itself) it Turns out I need a filling and an extraction I’m really not to scared about the extraction( well I am but the filling scares me more) as the tooth Is dead anyway but the filling scares me so much as I had a super bad experience with a dentist not numbing me correctly then having to have it re done by my current dentist because it hadn’t been done correctly
Any advice on how to make it go easier would be very helpful

Hello!

I too have EXTREME dental anxiety, I literally make myself sick over going. I just recently had a root canal AND several fillings. Being completely honest, for a regular filling I required the normal amount of numbing agent (and I am very hard to numb) but for the root canal, I required several shots. Just express your fears and anxiety right away and do not be afraid to tell them you are nervous about being numb. My dentist actually gave me an extra shot, and another midway through just to help me ease my mind about it.

Hello!

I had a similar problem with anxiety, not directed specifically at the dentist but at people in general that was contributing to my fears about seeing the dentist. My experience with the dentist that I ended up seeing was similar to Ellie's. He was extremely nice, respectful of my fears, listened to my concerns, and was reassuring. Once work began on me he let me know that I could raise my left arm if I was in discomfort or pain and that he would stop and apply more numbing to me. So if it is a concern of yours I would imagine a quick chat before work begins and with a good, respectful, dentist you could arrange for something like that as well.

Hope this helps! Best wishes!

Back