• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid to See Oral Surgeon again

J

Jessa

Three weeks ago, I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled under general anesthesia. I was VERY nervous going into the procedure...was crying before they put me under etc... but I pulled through just fine.

Now I have to see the same oral surgeon again to get a TAD(Temporary Anchorage Device) put in to help correct my overbite. And yes, I HAVE to see the same surgeon because he's the only person that does TADs in my area. I was told that it's a simple in-office procedure...(it'll only take 10 mins. or so).

The surgeon is very good and I've heard many good things about him from my dentist, orthodontist, and other people I know. But when I went to his office last week to pay on the bill there, I felt very nervous just when he walked past me in his office. My heart started racing and my hands felt cold...same feeling I felt just before I got my wisdom teeth pulled.

And I'm just surprised that I'm this nervous. I'm a naturally confident person and I've only had good experiences with my dentist. I don't have any phobias, either.

But anytime I go into the surgeon's office, I just feel SCARED and anxious. I have a few questions about the TAD but that I posted under the Dentistry section of this forum....I'm too afraid to ask the surgeon myself. I guess I don't want to ask him too many questions as I gave him a hard time when he told me I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I doubted his knowledge etc etc....so I don't want to be more difficult then I already am.

I can't believe I'm just so afraid about all of this...and I never thought I would be posting about this. How can I stop being so nervous about seeing this doctor? Please help!!

Hi Jessa

I do not think you are a difficult patient.

The only dumb question is the one that never gets asked. You are not a dentist or an O.S. Having questions and concerns is very normal. I would be very surprised if you did not.

Asking him will help build trust and confidence. I am sure he will not mind answering. I always welcome questions and an opportunity to interact. You would not be seen as pushy.

In our office we are starting to record videos to answer questions and explain certain procedures. This communication is better for everyone.

Thanks for replying, Stress Doc. I understand I have the right to ask any questions I want...but I already had the consultation. I guess you could say this oral surgeon doesn't like a lot of questions...he's more of a soft-spoken, quiet kind of guy. He didn't seem very open for questions and, frankly, I didn't think of any until I left his office.

I'm assuming you're a dentist...and you sounds like the type of person I'd love to have as my oral surgeon. I have a wonderful dentist that tells me everything he's doing in my mouth so I can know what to expect. This oral surgeon is the only professional that does the TADs in my area so I couldn't switch even if I wanted to do. It's not that I doubt his expertise/knowledge...

But I just feel anxious whenever I'm in his office...my heart starts racing, I feel sweaty etc.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to go through with getting this TAD put in...and I'll be sure to keep all of you updated on how everything goes!

Does anyone else feel anxiety in the dentist/oral surgeon's office? How do you manage it?

Thanks in advance for all your replies!

T
Does anyone else feel anxiety in the dentist/oral surgeon's office? How do you manage it?

This is a dental phobia forum so yes most everyone (even me and I'm not phobic) can relate ;). I think having come through the GA so well for your wisdom teeth op, your current anxiety relates to your relationship with the OS not being the same as the one with your trusted general dentist (but this doesn't really matter as you know he is good at what he does and you won't have to keep seeing him constantly like you do your dentist.)

So it's really just a fear of the unknown (the TAD procedure) which I don't think anyone else on here has had and the fact that you will be awake with someone you don't yet warm to on a personal level.

It's normal - I think most everyone would feel slightly apprehensive even if they trot along regularly and reasonably confidently for routine stuff with a dentist they know, like and trust. You are in a different environment with different staff as well...it's mainly a fear of the unknown...but you will be fine I'm sure and he may be more forthcoming and reassuring with you awake so that you feel more comfortable in future (does he have to remove the TAD eventually as well?).
Do let us know how it goes....your GA account was brilliant, I think I'll sticky it.
:grouphug:

Thanks for replying, Brit. I guess what surprises me is that I never thought I'd find myself feeling anxious/nervous in a doctor's/dentist's office. Like I mentioned, I've only had good experiences with doctors and dentists up until I had to see the oral surgeon to get my wisdom teeth pulled.

But I think because I was really scared going into getting my them pulled, this may just be the after-effects.

Brit, you mentioned getting the TAD removed...that's something I haven't even thought of yet! But I guess it makes sense that he'll have to remove it as well at some point...once it's finished it's job. :confused:

Yesterday I noticed a small sharp thing in one of the extraction sites that bothers me whenever I eat. Not sure what it is...and I know it's not the braces...they're not all the way back there. But now I realize I'll have to call his office and probably come in for a check up and that thought just frightens me! :hidesbehindsofa:

Just thinking of seeing him again is quite scary to me really...and I feel so crazy to even say that I'm scared... I mean, I didn't have any <i>bad</i> experiences with him and he did a great job with the surgery so I feel like I don't have any reason to be anxious, yet I am.

Tomorrow I have to think about calling in for an appointment for this sharp thing...I knew I had to see him again (for the TAD device) but I just didn't anticipate going in again so soon.

Oh, and thanks for making my success story sticky! I'm so happy everyone enjoyed reading...it's too bad I feel so scared afterwards though.:(

Hi Jessa

You might try to email him the questions. Some people respond better to emails as they can respond at their leisure.

The sharp thing could be a bone fragment, very normal. Sometimes small fragments of dead bone (called a "sequestrum" [singular] or "sequestra" [plural]) will come to the surface of an extraction site as they are ejected by the your body during the healing process.

You can usually take them out or they will come out on their own. If they are bothersome the dentist can take care of them in a few seconds. For most people they work out on their own.

Blessings :)

Thanks for replying, Stress Doc! I did call his office yesterday to ask about my sore jaw and the sharp thing. I spoke with his assistant (she's very nice!) and she told me the same thing you did...it's just bone! :) I'm so happy it's nothing serious. :)

And she said my jaw hinge shouldn't be sore 3 weeks after the surgery so it's unrelated to my wisdom teeth being pulled. She said I could be grinding my teeth at night or just slept on it funny. And she told me to call the office again on Friday if it's still sore. Hopefully, it'll go away by itself. :)

On a side note, I see my dental hygienist today and I'l mention the jaw pain to her as well.

Thanks again to everyone who's replied. You're all so helpful! I'll keep y'all posted on what happens with the TAD.

Blessings!

Just saw the oral surgeon today. I was very anxious going into the appointment but a friend of mine came with me as well as my Mom...that helped a lot!

The oral surgeon was very friendly today which helped my anxiety!! He answered all my questions and reassured me that everything is fine.

He explained that my jaw is still sore because of the surgery I had about a month ago. Hopefully, it'll get better soon as I continue to heal. He also showed me a way to yawn so it doesn't hurt that much. :)

I still have to see him in about 6wks. time to get the TAD put in and I'm hoping that this friendly appointment helps with my anxiety about this next appointment!

Thanks for everyone's continued support...you all have been so helpful here!

Back