• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After 11 years I faced my fear!

S

Scaredycat30

Let me start by saying that I really hope my story can help those who have the same fears I once had. When I was 20 (31 now), I went to the dentist for an exam and cleaning. I knew I had a problem with my gums because they hurt but when I sat in that chair while she did the cleaning all I felt was pain. After she was done she tells me that I have severe gum disease and that I would lose all my teeth by the time I'm 30. Needless to say, she was uncaring and very mean about the situation. In turn, I freaked out and never went back to the dentist out of fear.

Throughout the years the plaque started to form in the back of my teeth to the point that at age 31, it was so much it covered the whole tooth. I had what I thought was receding gums and feared that if I got a cleaning, my teeth would become loose. I was scared that the gaps in between my teeth would be huge.

Then the worse thing happened: my FRONT tooth cracked. I had no choice but to go to the dentist, my mom referred me to hers and he's great! My front tooth is fixed and I had the cleaning I was dreading for 11 years. Guys, my teeth are awesome looking! It's amazing what the cleaning does, and yes I had gaps between them, but a week later and they are closed! my teeth are not loose and my breath is so much fresher.

Do not let the fear rule your life. I would examine my teeth EVERYDAY about 3 times a day and worry myself sick... all for nothing. Oh, and the "severe gum disease" I had at 20 was gingivitis. It's very important to find a loving caring dentist and hygienist. I was so embarrassed to show my teeth but when she said "ohhhh I've seen worse... you're going to look so pretty when I'm done", it helped a lot!

Wow, congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself! Your story sounds VERY similar to mines. I have only 1 thread going here. It's under "Support" or you can click on my name and go to "Find all Posts by Petrified2Death". You can see when I first posted on here all scared all the way to my scaling and rooting on Monday. Today was my 2nd scaling and rooting (and I will update with that either tonight or tomorrow, but I'm still a little sore and uncomfortable, so I'm not up to updating with all the details). You will see how I also had a mean dentist that told me that all my teeth will fall out and I never went back to a dentist again. That was 15 years ago!! I was a senior in high school then, I'm 33 now. I found the most caring periodontist and what a difference it makes when someone is nice and comforting.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you, how long after your deep cleaning (I'm imaging you had the scaling and rooting) did you start having fresh breath?

Once again, congrats! Woohoo! :cheers:

Great job!
:jump::yay::jump::yay::jump::yay:

Fantastic news. Good for you. Isn't it great to look in that mirror and feel proud of your nice clean teeth instead of being ashamed!

All you have to do now is brush and floss and keep em clean. If you haven't got an electric tooth brush get one.

There is a great new product out from Colgate to which is like a professional weekly clean in between your normal cleans. Not sure if you're in the UK?

Wow, congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself! Your story sounds VERY similar to mines. I have only 1 thread going here. It's under "Support" or you can click on my name and go to "Find all Posts by Petrified2Death". You can see when I first posted on here all scared all the way to my scaling and rooting on Monday. Today was my 2nd scaling and rooting (and I will update with that either tonight or tomorrow, but I'm still a little sore and uncomfortable, so I'm not up to updating with all the details). You will see how I also had a mean dentist that told me that all my teeth will fall out and I never went back to a dentist again. That was 15 years ago!! I was a senior in high school then, I'm 33 now. I found the most caring periodontist and what a difference it makes when someone is nice and comforting.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you, how long after your deep cleaning (I'm imaging you had the scaling and rooting) did you start having fresh breath?

Once again, congrats! Woohoo! :cheers:
We did go through something similar! I wish these dentist would all have to take up a course in school about compassion. It really does make a huge difference when you have a caring dentist/hygenist. I noticed my breath was fresher about a week later. I seriously always chewed gum to try and hide my bad breath, it was even to the point where I was embarressed to kiss my husband and wouldnt unless I was chewing gum.
I also told the hygenist that i suffered from bad breath and she said it was due to needing a deep cleaning and said to make sure to brush my tounge and also drink lots of water. :)

Fantastic news. Good for you. Isn't it great to look in that mirror and feel proud of your nice clean teeth instead of being ashamed!

All you have to do now is brush and floss and keep em clean. If you haven't got an electric tooth brush get one.

There is a great new product out from Colgate to which is like a professional weekly clean in between your normal cleans. Not sure if you're in the UK?

Thanks!:) Im actually in NY. would you recommend a toothbrush? or any electric one will do? also what is the colgate product called?

It's called Colgate Professional Clean - it's quite a new product in the UK. It comes in a small white box and is enough for 6 weeks cleaning. I've just got a battery operated one and it seems to do the job for me but I seem to remember that you get can electric toothbrushes which tell you how long you've spent on each tooth and if you're brushing too hard.

Are you going back for 3 monthly cleans? Mine's due in 6 weeks!

:jump::respect::jump::respect::respect:Hug and congrats to you! :)

Mona

Hey scaredycat30, I just got done with my root planning and scaling and it was a piece of cake. ( I can't believe that I am saying this) I was anticipating lots of pain but it was nothing and before i left, the hygienist recommended the Oral B triump electric brush. It has a timer that tells you how long you should brush for each quardrant, and all kinds of attachments. I bought one and tried it and it was awesome. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Back