• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Alternative to root canal - bone infection

A

Adeeui

I will post my past experience on a different thread but to make a long story short:
I have a very small infection in one of my front teeth, they say it's very close to the root, and that it is in the bone surrounding the tooth.
Two dentists didn't want to do anything about it because they claim the only solution is root canal and they wish to avoid it so they suggested waiting.
I have had a very mild pain but now it's getting a little sharper every day and I don want to wait for it to get worse - note that my tooth is sensitive to cold, not sensitive to heat and not sensitive/painful when biting or tapping. They also said that a deep cavity won't help because there is no hole in the tooth.

My question is - since the pain is caused by infection, is there ANY other alternatives to root canals?? Except for extraction. I mean logically there should be a medication for it, shouldn't there?
Root canal will stop the pain but not the infection! I want to avoid a root canal at all costs but I also don't want to experience any more pain.
Any advice would be helpful.

*I will attach the xray, I do have a root canal on my right tooth from almost 10 years ago, the aching tooth is the left one. 11FAFB27-2411-4993-BB82-6741745997C2.jpeg

My question is - since the pain is caused by infection, is there ANY other alternatives to root canals?? Except for extraction. I mean logically there should be a medication for it, shouldn't there?
Root canal will stop the pain but not the infection! I want to avoid a root canal at all costs but I also don't want to experience any more pain.
Any advice would be helpful.
No there isn't really an alternative to a root canal.
Logic says that for medication to work it has to reach the source of the infection. To have an infected root canal the dental pulp has to be dead. If it's dead, no blood supply... any medication will likely kill off bacteria in the area surrounding the root canal exit, but won't get to the source which will simply reinfect the area time after time.

Back