• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

am i too young to get partial denture? vs implants? - 26 y/o

D

dksv6

Hi All,

I have taken great care of my teeth my whole life, and they have been fine. unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago, I was on a short bike ride and came of my bike landing on my face, 1x broken arm, lacerations to my face, and... 3 severely damaged front teeth.

I have seen several dentists and endodontists. so far we have revealed the teeth are 90% going to die and root canals + crowning seems pointless. the next alternatives are implants or partial denture.

I am in Australia, and I have private healthcare, but the costs of 3x implants is near 20k still. I can find the money, but it is still a damaging and huge expense to me (literally just bought a property to build a house on). as well as this, the endodontist warned me the implants will only last 20 years on average, and he said when they need to be re-done 20 or so year from now it could be very problematic. I'm not entirely across why, but my understanding is because we are then dealing with infused titanium rods and not just teeth. I do think I will get implants but hoping to buy some time. between 2 and 10 years.

so for this reason, I am leaning towards a partial denture for the interim, or potentially permanently if viable. I am very self conscious about it, but I can accept my situation. my major fear though is gum and jaw bone degradation. I am hoping I can get some advice on the below:

- for a partial denture, 3 adjacent missing front teeth (upper) Is gum degradation and bone degradation a major risk? or only likely minimal due to only been a small part of my jaw?
- if answer to above Is yes, I would like to get a denture for the next 1-2 years anyway to save money in the interim for implants, however will my gums/bones degrade in in this time the bone grafting/augmentation will likely still be required? if so is this complex and expensive? (I realise may be hard to answer accurately)
- finally is there any one who has had partial or full dentures at a young age and can offer some advice?

a very heartfelt thanks to any responses provided.

thanks all.

I can't comment on your actual case but here are my thoughts in general.
Keep teeth with root canals and crowns where possible as this is the natural alternative and one can always do implants later in your life if needed.( I do place implants)
Secondly if for financial reasons you elect a removable appliance strongly consider to have a xenograft( dentist will know) done to fill in the holes of the bone where the roots were. This would do the best job of maintaining the volume of bone over the years.

I hope you are happy with the reply that you got, this forum is for phobic/nervous patients that need help getting the courage to seek treatment. You do not mention that you are nervous but if you are you are welcome.

I can't comment on your actual case but here are my thoughts in general.
Keep teeth with root canals and crowns where possible as this is the natural alternative and one can always do implants later in your life if needed.( I do place implants)
Secondly if for financial reasons you elect a removable appliance strongly consider to have a xenograft( dentist will know) done to fill in the holes of the bone where the roots were. This would do the best job of maintaining the volume of bone over the years.

I am not a dentist but I agree with Comfortdentist and personally would definitely do root canals first assuming the teeth are not totally smashed up. The whole point of a root canal is that the dead nerve is being removed from the tooth so that you can keep it.
My understanding is that the bone does potentially degrade as soon as you remove the teeth.

I am happy to share my patient experience with you whether you are dentally anxious or not :XXLhug:

Last edited: