K
KittysKid
Junior member
- Joined
- Jul 27, 2025
- Messages
- 3
- Location
- PA-USA
I have a history of difficulty achieving adequate numbness during dental procedures, despite treatment by different providers. This issue has also occurred outside of dentistry—during a vaginal biopsy. At that time, my primary care physician suggested that my body chemistry or tissue pH might require a different type of local anesthetic. Based on that guidance, I informed my dentist, and articaine was used successfully.
When I changed dentists, I explained my anesthetic history. A crown replacement on my upper arch was completed without issue. However, during two separate appointments for crown replacement on my lower arch, I was unable to achieve sufficient numbness. The most recent appointment had 2 injections into mandible & 2 at the gumline , it still didn’t work & was particularly unpleasant, and I became concerned that articaine was no longer effective for me.
At a recent wellness visit, my new primary care physician attributed the problem to the dental technique and questioned why I allowed the procedure to continue. I explained that once a crown had been partially cut, the remainder had to be removed. I disagreed about the dentist technique & asked whether a sedative might be appropriate & if further evaluation could rule out/ clarify an underlying issue, especially since I have been having same side eye ice pick headaches & jaw & neck pain-very limited ROM, but was told there was nothing & he could not help me-take it back to the dentist. I already know that many things can cause this-like my h/o fibromyalgia as well as genetic mutations, but it wasn’t worth any more effort. I have to find a better doctor.
I subsequently contacted my dentist’s office to express my apprehension and request consideration of sedation. Just to be sure I asked what was used & he informed me lidocaine. Well that may be the issue. I reiterated my prior difficulty with lidocaine and explained that, due to fibromyalgia and associated hypersensitivity, I sometimes require an alternative anesthetic. I am hopeful that this clarification resolves the problem. My only remaining concern is that lidocaine was effective in the upper arch but not the lower, which I understand may be due to the greater difficulty of achieving anesthesia in the mandible.
We are going to try articaine & forego any sedative. I wasn’t crazy about that. I will take any advice /recommendations , so I can be the best patient & everything goes smoothly.
When I changed dentists, I explained my anesthetic history. A crown replacement on my upper arch was completed without issue. However, during two separate appointments for crown replacement on my lower arch, I was unable to achieve sufficient numbness. The most recent appointment had 2 injections into mandible & 2 at the gumline , it still didn’t work & was particularly unpleasant, and I became concerned that articaine was no longer effective for me.
At a recent wellness visit, my new primary care physician attributed the problem to the dental technique and questioned why I allowed the procedure to continue. I explained that once a crown had been partially cut, the remainder had to be removed. I disagreed about the dentist technique & asked whether a sedative might be appropriate & if further evaluation could rule out/ clarify an underlying issue, especially since I have been having same side eye ice pick headaches & jaw & neck pain-very limited ROM, but was told there was nothing & he could not help me-take it back to the dentist. I already know that many things can cause this-like my h/o fibromyalgia as well as genetic mutations, but it wasn’t worth any more effort. I have to find a better doctor.
I subsequently contacted my dentist’s office to express my apprehension and request consideration of sedation. Just to be sure I asked what was used & he informed me lidocaine. Well that may be the issue. I reiterated my prior difficulty with lidocaine and explained that, due to fibromyalgia and associated hypersensitivity, I sometimes require an alternative anesthetic. I am hopeful that this clarification resolves the problem. My only remaining concern is that lidocaine was effective in the upper arch but not the lower, which I understand may be due to the greater difficulty of achieving anesthesia in the mandible.
We are going to try articaine & forego any sedative. I wasn’t crazy about that. I will take any advice /recommendations , so I can be the best patient & everything goes smoothly.