• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anti anxiety meds

K

Kittykat93

So I went to try and get a tooth out today and I’ve decided that while I’ve got all my fillings done without any meds, because we did everything slowly and I got used to it. Getting my tooth out was a much bigger mental hurdle so I allowed myself some slack and got some diazepam. This did not work before me getting my wisdoms out (so they are still safely tucked away in the back of my mouth) and as such the doctor gave me a stronger dose of diazepam. Which yet again didn’t work! 10mg of diazepam which would floor most people and I was walking and talking and had a full on panic attack so the dentist couldn’t/wouldn’t do anything...he wouldn’t let me take any more either ?
So I’m back to square 1, frustrated, annoyed and feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place ?

Anxiety medicine helps many people.

Another highly effective intervention is exposure behavior. I personally recommend finding out what a hierarchy is, and then immediately start effecting one.

Good luck.

For you and everyone else I would never recommend Diazepam (valium) as a preferred premedication.
Why?
for many it isn't adequate
lasts too long

In my opinion if your doctor recommends valium then this should give you an idea that they have marginal experience in treating anxious patients. The exception is someone with a good history of its use as we are all different.

"The exception is someone with a good history of its use as we are all different."

As I have only used valium once for dental, I do for other medical procedures and did for one harder extraction. I have to say for me, I trust it, but also have a history that is what I use for needed procedures and it ddoesn't make me feel weird or off or anything, it just subltly relaxes me.. so I'm comfortable.. not sure I would take anything else. but for dental usually local anesthetic is well enough and a kind understanding patient dentist with a bit of sense of humor is the best bit of anti anxiety.. for most.

So I went to try and get a tooth out today and I’ve decided that while I’ve got all my fillings done without any meds, because we did everything slowly and I got used to it. Getting my tooth out was a much bigger mental hurdle so I allowed myself some slack and got some diazepam. This did not work before me getting my wisdoms out (so they are still safely tucked away in the back of my mouth) and as such the doctor gave me a stronger dose of diazepam. Which yet again didn’t work! 10mg of diazepam which would floor most people and I was walking and talking and had a full on panic attack so the dentist couldn’t/wouldn’t do anything...he wouldn’t let me take any more either ?
So I’m back to square 1, frustrated, annoyed and feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place ?

In my experience, it depends on the amount of stress I am under as to whether or not I find diazepam helpful. A few years ago, I was prescribed a tiny dose of 2mg for Vertigo and each time I took it, I felt relaxed and was able to sleep. For my first 2 dental appointments I was prescribed 5 mg and I thought it wasn't really helping me, but when compared to how I feel usually at the dentist I think it did help some. My husband has been prescribed 10 mg before for a medical procedure and he was just a little more calm than usual, not loopy or sleepy or anything. But anyway, my point is that for me, 2mg worked when I wasn't under a ton of stress. 5mg barely made a difference, however when combined with other types of sedation like nitrous, or other oral meds, it has a much larger impact.

Sorry to read this, KittyKat. Please, do not be too hard on yourself. Anxiety levels can vary not only from day to day but even from minute to minute and as Animalhouse suggests, there might be moments where you are more stressed than usually. This doesn't mean you are back to sqare 1, it just means that that day wasn't good. The progress with treatment is not linear, it's sometimes good experiences and sometimes bad ones. I had visits where I was so sure I would be fine and then all of sudden I got anxiety like never before and felt like the visit was spoiled. This can happen. I'm however proud of you for being able to get used to fillings, which sounds like you had made quite a progress with your dental fear! :)

The best thing to do is to be kind to yourself and just try again, maybe talk to your dentist about your further options when it comes to oral sedation.

Back